Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
totally destroying it
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I've become so and so unhappy that I thinks it's turned into anger. I can so easily switch from happy or normal to full on angry. Things like people stumbling upon me on the bus, or not moving to the other side of the sidewalk if they see me can ruin my day. They're silly, but it can consume my thoughts. The worst part is that my anger can become very evident; I roll my eyes, push the person (with my bag or shoulder), or just look at them like, well, like I want to kill them.

I've tried counting and breathing, but it's no use. Is this a different disorder completely, or could it be in relation to my SAD?

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Anger is a symptom of SOO many mental illnesses, its not a defining characteristic for anything I know of.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
Anger is an emotion, not a disorder. You must find the root cause of your anger and deal with that. That is not an easy task. Suppressing it with relaxation will not help. You may become more explosive that way. I have been there.

Anger in and of itself is not a bad thing. Sometimes it is nessessary. The problem is when anger is not expressed properly.

I found a book about gestalt thearapy that was very helpful in understanding how these things work. When anger is repressed it can become retoflected and you experience guilt, shame, etc. and this plays a role in depression and axiety. The unexpressed anger lies just beneath the surface and will seek expression wherever it can. Blowing off steam, however, does little to quench it as it has not found its true expression(its actuallity). Only expression of anger in its proper context can dissipate the emotion.

After applying this to myself I began to see things from a different perspective and could see patterns of behaviour in other people with a deeper understanding. As intuitive as I found the concept of gestalt, others seem very resistant to the idea. It seems that people prefer to hold onto toxic emotions. Like there whole existence depends on it.

People seem strange to me....

:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Getting angry at seemingly random times is also a result of depression. I can be sitting in school, and all of a sudden I get extremely angry for no reason. Small pointless things can can get me extremely irritated as well.

But like Dr House said, anger is a result of many mental disorders.

·
Dragonic Archon
1,575 Posts
Anger often times stems from annoyances whether they be personal or environmental. Depression is anger turned inwards on oneself. Within anxiety however, the fight or flight symptoms kick in if you feel you are in danger. As an old Welsh proverb states, "Anger is as good as courage on a battlefield." I have Asperger's syndrome which is the underlying cause of all my other "problems". Because of how I perceive the world and interact with it, my experiences have caused my depression and anxiety. Over years of self-loathing, it eventually snapped into intense frustration and aggression with misanthropic tendencies. So can I understand exactly how you feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.