Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April or May is when I believe I joined this board. I was at my worst, multiple panic attacks a day and pushing away any friendship/relationship I had in my life because I was too scared to let them see me at my weakness.

Originally I was prescribed .5mg of Xanax to take 3 times daily if needed. When I started taking it, (in July of 2004) I only need 1/2 to successfully rid myself of panic attacks. However a year later (suffering the affects of Wellbutrin XL - I was taking over 2mg daily of Xanax). This may not seem like a lot for some - but it was frustrating for me, who a year later - I was becoming more dependant on my anxiety medicine and needing to take more, then needing to take less.

The Wellbutrin was the problem. I switched to Effexor XR.. taking a small dose and working my way up to 150mg, where I have been since then. It has worked very, very successfully for me. I have panic attacks rarely now. Before I would have them once a day, to every other day or every few days when I was lucky. Now it is weeks in between panic attacks. I feel blessed to have made this progress.

I have also started a new job in my career and will be making money again (the lack of it has been the spur of my anxiety) and I will be able to once again not feel like I was financially (and emotionally) out of control. I do work many hours but it's better for me then sitting at home all day and thinking too hard about my problems. When I am at work, it's the children and their education I have to worry about.

The only downfall I have experienced in taking Effexor XR are the days after in which I forgot to take my dose. For me, I feel like I have the flu all the next day. I get a terrible headache that cannot feel better with any amount of pain reliever. I take up to 6 advil cold and sinus (which is my miracle drug for headaches.. usually) but it doesn't touch my EXR withdrawal symptoms. To help ease it SOMEWHAT, I take a long epsom salt soaked bath.. place a cold compress on my head.. TRY to nap (although today i twas impossible) - and my last resort is Xanax. For some reason, it really aids in headaches.

I know that EXR is going to be hell coming off of. Because this is my second relapse with depression/anxiety, I have to be on antidepressants for many months more so I guess I won't have to worry about that now. However I will think twice about missing any dose! It's hell....

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
AlekonaKini,

Congratulations on making progress! I am so happy to read that you are doing well for yourself! :banana

Boy, do I ever know the feeling of not missing my medication. I am going the Paxil thing today, and not only do I feel nauseated, but also a spike in anxiety. I do have Xanax as a backup, but don't know if I should take it or my 30mg of Paxil right away. I took 15mg earlier in the day, but it must not have been enough. I am going to take the 30mg as I normally do before bedtime so hopefuly it will help. If the anxeity continues, I shall take a small dose of Xanax. Thank you for the tip. I might need that.

Anyway, I wanted to send a congratulations and wishes for continued success!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts