Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried amphetamines such as adderral for weight loss? I've heard some bad stuff on it, but was curious none-the-less.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I've tried Adderral and Ritalin (not for weight loss, for ADD) and they both made me lose weight. For me, they suppressed my appetite to the point where I only felt like eating once a day, and only a small meal.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Hmmm, I know this is probably not what you want to hear at all, but I also just read the thread you started on not eating for days at a time and I'm concerned.

*dons grandfatherly glasses and looks at you over the rims*

Please take it from this stranger on the internet that these can be some very bad paths to go down. I understand the desire for a change, but these can have some serious impacts on your health, both physical and mental. Of course, the choice is ultimately up to you and you should not let people tell you what to do, but please take it into consideration that there may be some other options which may take a little longer, but could be much more beneficial and rewarding, with much less risk.

*removes preaching glasses and resumes the search for threads to add sarcastic and unhelpful comments to*

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
it does work - it kills your appetite and gives you more energy to burn more calories. but it's definitely not in a healthy way at all. those effects don't always last so once your appetite does return you might just go back to normal eating.
i also found my health suffered greatly after i went through that month or two of barely eating from the adderall. since i got barely any nutrition my body felt like crap basically. before the adderall kicked in and after it faded i felt horribly weak and on the verge of fainting, as well as some other problems.

since my body was basically starved for a while, when my appetite returned any cravings basically would be super strong. i mean i'd wake up in the middle of the night and go have a few spoonful of peanut butter, or i'd eat half a block of cheese and it tasted unusually good since my body was lacking those fats and i wouldn't want to stop.
my body would never feel satisfied from what i ate, it was like it was desperately trying to make up for all that food it had missed for those several weeks.

i admit though i did like the weight loss aspect. it was to the point where that alone would give me some kind of high, since i usually tend to be a bit obsessed about my body. but it doesn't last.
however since eating normally i didn't gain all of it back, which is good.... but i dont' think anyone should take it for the weight loss only as it has a lot of negative long-term effects.

if you do normally have body image issues, then it is a really bad idea. i always have had such issues, and i haven't had any full-blown eating disorder but when i started the adderall i got back into that habit of being really obsessed with my body, even though i hadn't been that preoccupied with it for a while. right now my BMI is 17.4 but i still often think about my weight throughout the day and i check the scale every morning. i have to and i feel uneasy if i don't know how heavy i am.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
but i dont' think anyone should take it for the weight loss only as it has a lot of negative long-term effects
I can't be the only one who saw requiem for a dream...

*removes preaching glasses and resumes the search for threads to add sarcastic and unhelpful comments to*
Looks like I found one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
''I can't be the only one who saw requiem for a dream...''

Thats a very sad film!

Regarding starving yourself, its not a good way to go about things at all, your training your body here and if you starve yourself the next time you eat something your body will store that as fat thinking the food will be scarce, and if you keep starving yourself your body will eat away at any muscle you have, its all about quality of food and not quantity!

Alot of people are overfed and undernourished, you can actually lose alot of weight be eating alot of the right foods, RAW foods are the best nutritious foods you can get by far. Enzymes are what make our body tick...

*Enzymes are proteins. Like other proteins, enzymes consist of long chains of amino acids held together by peptide bonds. They are present in all living cells, where they perform a vital function by controlling the metabolic processes whereby nutrients are converted into energy and fresh cell material. Furthermore, enzymes take part in the breakdown of food materials into simpler compounds. They break down your food and convert it into energy, with these this can be done without these your body will store what it cant burn off as fat, now heres something you didnt know, 100% of all cooked food contains 0% enzymes, only raw uncooked food has enzymes! So eat plenty of fruit! or uncooked veg.

If you want a good read get any superfood book by david wolfe, he is a bit of a hippy but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to nutrition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts