Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still trying to figure out my social anxiety/depression/OCD. My SA is characterized by me not knowing what to say to hold up a conversation and not being very motivated to socialize in the first place. I think the depression might have developed as a result of the social anxiety. Or maybe the other way around.

But anyway, the only thing I've found that makes me feel great, social-wise, is adderall. Conversation topics flow and I feel pretty much no anxiety going into any social situation.

My dad has Parkinson's and so does my grandma. Seems about right since they think SA and Parkinson's might be linked. The thing is, my dad has pretty much the opposite of SA. He talks like there's no tomorrow and has no anxiety talking to anyone he doesn't know. He's on a few medications, which include levadopa. Could that be making him super social?

I bought some tyrosine and dlpa a couple days ago and I noticed some minor effects yesterday, such as appetite suppression and maybe more energy. Today, I might have experienced a little lower appetite, but nothing else. I've been taking 7 grams of the tyrosine and 1 gram of the DLPA per day on an empty stomach with B6 and 90 mg of C.

Someone told me about Nortriptyline, which is pretty effective for depression with anxiety. I'm planning on asking my family doctor about getting that prescribed, or maybe Nardil.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about taking a levadopa pill to see what kind of effect it has on me.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The thing is, my dad has pretty much the opposite of SA. He talks like there's no tomorrow and has no anxiety talking to anyone he doesn't know. He's on a few medications, which include levadopa. Could that be making him super social?
Yes, very much so! Dopamine is at the very core of talkativeness, and levodopa delivers it directly to the brain (and body, if not in the usual combo they use). I personally think Parkinson's disease treatments should also be used in schizoid social anxiety, or other types where sociability is affected.

Someone told me about Nortriptyline, which is pretty effective for depression with anxiety. I'm planning on asking my family doctor about getting that prescribed, or maybe Nardil.
No no no, nortryptyline sucks majorly. If you are low on sociability and motivation, you should consider: mirtazapine (Remeron), SSRI + mirtazapine, or SSRI + bupropion (Wellbutrin), or even Nardil. I'm not sure about SSRI + mirtazapine + bupropion; it'd be either very dangerous or (more likely) very awesome. Out of those combos/individuals I listed, you should only get severe side-effects from Nardil (such as sexual dysfunction).

You'll probably get an SSRI first. They help SA but make sociability worse usually in people like me.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about taking a levadopa pill to see what kind of effect it has on me.
That would be interesting, but firstly the dose used in Parkinson's may have unpredictable effects in a normal person (because they have lost a lot of dopamine function in a certain area), and secondly, you'd have to ensure the pill also contains carbidopa or the dopamine will also be working outside the brain and you'll basically feel like **** and projectile vomit all over the place. Also, if you were to take it for any length of time, you'd also need to do something to prevent tolerance/dependence.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mirtazapine turned my head into a tonne mallet. I loved cakes and sweets and I had mashmallow ice cream for dinner and I slept on a bed made of dark chocolate (Which I never left btw)

Don't let my experience turn you off though, .....different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the doctor, today. She didn't like the idea of MAOI's at all. She prescribed 100mg Zoloft and 25mg Nortriptyline, which she plans on raising. She ordered a full thyroid test and a cortisol test. I'm going in to the lab tomorrow morning to do that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I went to the doctor, today. She didn't like the idea of MAOI's at all. She prescribed 100mg Zoloft and 25mg Nortriptyline, which she plans on raising. She ordered a full thyroid test and a cortisol test. I'm going in to the lab tomorrow morning to do that.
Most Dr's are afraid of MAOI's. They'll usually give you whichever SSRI the drug reps have been pushing on them. 100mg of Zoloft seems like a high dose to start with. I've tried zoloft before but normally they start you with a lower dose like 25 or 50mg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My psychiatrist had me on 50mg already, with no effects, other than brain zaps upon withdrawal. I don't plan on taking the Zoloft.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Why did she prescribe nortriptyline? SS/SNRIs are preferred these days (with good reason).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Tricyclics are not effective for social phobia. And I don't understand why your Pdoc mixes an SSRI with a TCA - or is the Nortriptyline just for sleep? Zoloft (Sertraline) can also increase the plasma levels of Nortriptyline. If one wants reuptake inhibition of serotonin and norepinephrine SNRIs are the more logic choice.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Tricyclics are not effective for social phobia. And I don't understand why your Pdoc mixes an SSRI with a TCA - or is the Nortriptyline just for sleep? Zoloft (Sertraline) can also increase the plasma levels of Nortriptyline. If one wants reuptake inhibition of serotonin and norepinephrine SNRIs are the more logic choice.
Although I agree it wouldn't be very effective for SA, I have heard of Dr's such as this one, mixing SSRI's with prominently noradrenergic TCA's for depression, because they believe the combination to have a better NA:SERT ratio than that of the the SNRIs.

As this Doctor discusses here http://www.psychotropical.com/dual_action_ads.shtml

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Although I agree it wouldn't be very effective for SA, I have heard of Dr's such as this one, mixing SSRI's with prominently noradrenergic TCA's for depression, because they believe the combination to have a better NA/SERT ratio than that of the the SNRIs.

As this Doctor discusses here http://www.psychotropical.com/dual_action_ads.shtml
Duloxetine is more balanced on SE/NA than venlafaxine, but surely it makes sense to just add atomoxetine if you wanted to increase the noradrenaline component? Just sounds like old doctors using old drugs they're used to, or the pharm companies trying desperately to sell redundant medication.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Duloxetine is more balanced on SE/NA than venlafaxine, but surely it makes sense to just add atomoxetine if you wanted to increase the noradrenaline component? Just sounds like old doctors using old drugs they're used to, or the pharm companies trying desperately to sell redundant medication.
yeah I guess your right, you can't teach an old doctor new tricks.

Venlafaxine is a bizarre drug though, coz despite it's odd/weak ratios, it appears to be a fairly effective drug for treating depression.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most Dr's are afraid of MAOI's. They'll usually give you whichever SSRI the drug reps have been pushing on them. 100mg of Zoloft seems like a high dose to start with. I've tried zoloft before but normally they start you with a lower dose like 25 or 50mg
Zoloft isn't pushed or sampled anymore.. it's a generic, so there's no point. Effexor XR and Lexapro seem to be the big ones. It's not so much what the reps are pushing, but what the docs have positive experiences with and what they have samples of (which isn't necessarily the same thing as pushing).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do you guys recommend trying? I already tried Zoloft at 50 mg for a month and the brain zaps afterwards suck, so I'm not trying that again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts