Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm a typical college student, save for I'm a creative genius. (I did a puppet show for a humanities presentation and pulled off an A. That's my proof). And as any college student does, sometimes I need to drop by a convenience store to load up on top ramen and mountain dew, and other various junk food probably not good for my health.

Recently I started noticing that a large portion of the time I go to buy something, and even go into a freaking ELEVATOR, I typically get smiles from the opposite sex (and this happens when I'm the only one in the elevator other than them). I don't just mean like they come in smiling, I mean they see me and start smiling...Do I have some sort of natural appeal I'm not taking advantage of here? Or am I looking too deeply into this, and/or just simply surrounded by naturally happy women???

I is so confoozed...:sus

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
From what I can see in your avatar you look to be quite cute. Probably not what you want to hear from a middle aged gay guy but it's the truth.

We look at ourselves in the mirror every day and we see all the little flaws. The problem is that we are to close to ourselves. We become our own worst critics.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I don't think it hurts to think that they are smiling because of your attractiveness. This can boost your self esteem up, but try not to get over confident.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This is normal for living in a dorm. Dormiquette calls for smiling/nodding when you pass one person in the hallways, or get into an elevator, and you should extend this courtesy to both dudes and chicks. (Compare to this around campus, when people do not go around grinning at you).
The alternative is to avoid their gaze, and stare at the ground awkwardly while you pretend they don't exist, which will give you a bad reputation on the floor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are you making eye contact with them? Women seem to smile more readily when you first make eye contact with them.

But hey, this is overall a good thing. At least they aren't ignoring you or running away screaming or something.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
You might just be good looking. I didn't think I was most of my life, but now I've come to accept it :b

edit: I've been working out a lot lately, so I feel really good about myself right now :boogie

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I am starting to realize this myself, too.
The running helps, even if the Paxil fat suppresses the weight loss.
Encouragement from people around me also helps.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You look cute. You could be attractive and not even be aware of it. SA might cloud your perception of yourself.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It's hard to say, I used to have/have the same problem as you. I've heard a lot that i'm extremely attractive but I still refuse to believe it, I see a freak when I look in the mirror. I think when you have low self esteem it's hard to judge for yourself. Take the compliment and keep working on yourself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't really tell by your photo if you post a couple I can take a better look.

Most guys can get more attractive by working out, eating right, wearing the right clothes and having that natural confidence. Not saying that everyone can be a Don Juan but everyone can boost their attractiveness by a couple of points naturally.

Assume they are into you. If you get nervous with the opposite sex or with speaking consider getting more involved in the school and taking more responsibilities on. Examples would be inter mural sports and joining campus student group preferably those with a lot of girls ;).
Toastmasters is also a good group to join.

The best guy I know with girls is extremely involved on campus. It helps to know a ton of people on campus and you naturally know how to escalate and get what you want when your constantly socializing with people.

Pretty soon I'm sure you'll turn those smiles into pleasurable moans ;)

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, well here is a slightly better pic, but the quality is pretty bad lol. Blame the bad webcam!

Attachments

·
Banned
959 Posts
Total hottie! Just playing. The girls that are smiling at you probably find you attractive.

I have noticed it more for me since I have had a girlfriend. That probably raised my self-esteem, but I am noticing girls checking me out more now.

I know this may be hard, but next time it happens try talking to them. You may be surprised by the results. :)

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...knowing that I guess I should start returning the smile. And get braces, my teeth could use some improvement lol. Thankfully they happen to be one of those things you can fix!

·
Banned
959 Posts
Don't worry about fixing your teeth if YOU like them. I don't have the greatest set of teeth either. All you have to do is keep them clean and whitish. Not everyone has to have perfectly straight teeth. I think it adds character, but I guess that is my opinion.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
you are just really cute

i'd look away if i was standing near you but only because i'd be so damn nervous, as i am around an attractive member of the opposite sex

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
What they said! Adorable!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts