Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My concentration is very poor, throughout primary school and high school, the information doesnt go through my head and i rarely did any study. Hence my results from school were very poor. I had comments from teachers saying that i was easily distracted.

It wasn't until in the final yr of HS that i was prescribed inderal for SA, and i used that basically for my studies and classed and it really helped most of the anxiety and i was able to listen and focus much more.
However at uni, it is so much more difficult for me, i was off the inderal (only used for social situations), and in most lectures i literally slept or was just wasting time for past by. I managed a pass for 1 subject and the rest were good by having to cram in the last 2 weeks which were hell.

I only began suspecting that i have ADD since recently i have:
-difficulty following through on instructions from others
i have noticed this especially in school science practicals and at uni
-When someone explains something to me, i dont retain what they say or get what they're saying

I am an academically striving student (curently in 1st yr pharmacy) and am aiming for dentistry, but i am confused as to whether i should go see my dr. and asked to be prescribed (ritalin, adderal) which is more appropriate then inderal since it blocks adrenaline and affects memory.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
As far as I know Inderal should never be used with Ritalin or Adderall due to the risk of high blood pressure. It may be possible to use a mixed alpha/beta-blocker (e.g. carvedilol) for this purpose, I dunno (probably would need BP monitoring). Best to ask your doctor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts