Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend staying with us (my sister's friend too). I feel bad about it, but I go to my laptop or hide away in my room most of the time. We don't have much in common and she gets along better with my sister. I'd make more of an effort to hang out with her, but I feel wary because my sister always talks sh*t about me around her so I feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

For example, they were watching a movie about a fat camp and my sister yelled from across the room, "Hey, sweetpotato, remember when you wanted to go to fat camp when you were 100 pounds?" She did it to embarrass me and make me look bad because our friend is like 50 pounds heavier than I am. I was like "Yeah, because I had an eating disorder but thanks for bringing that up" and she shut up (after laughing, and nobody laughed with her).

She just does a bunch of other horrible things like ridicules my appearance, but in a "funny" way so it's ok to laugh at :/

My sister also loves to bring up the fact that I don't hang out with people. I actually had quite a busy social life for a few months, but it died down. She casually talks about what a loser I am and if I blow her off or say "grow up", she either says worse things or patronizingly says "awwww you're just my little baby sister." (she's 5 years younger than I am).

Our friend hangs out with her most of the time. I don't know if it's my fault (being kind of quiet and introverted, whereas our friend and my sister are loud extroverts) or if I am justified in wanting space. This friend has laughed along with my sister, but I think she felt bad a few times when she knew it was serious, because she texted me to come watch a movie with her. But today, we were left alone in the house together and she sounded kind of annoyed and was like "I'm going for a walk" and left.

I feel like a *****ing loser and a bad host spending all my time on my laptop, believe me. I'm wondering how I can bond with her without my sister getting in the way and making me look/feel bad. My sister and this friend already made plans to go to a concert and they didn't invite me.

This girl and I are going to be coworkers in the fall and I want to get along with her. I also just want to be closer as friends but I feel that I don't know how. Over text, we get along great. In person, I'm just too quiet and it's awkward. Whenever I ask her questions to start a conversation, she answers as if I'm a stranger. When she talks to my sister, it's like they were separated at birth. This girl is my age.

Anyway, this must sound incredibly stupid. Thanks for reading it.

·
~~SASsy Member~~
14 Posts
You don't sound stupid.
I know it's hard to try to become friends with people who don't want to be friends and it's probably even harder if your sister keeps teasing you. But it's not your responsibility to befriend this girl. If you're okay with keeping to yourself than that's fine. You are justified in wanting space. It would be different if you wanted to hang out with them for you but if you're just worried about your friend than you should know she'll be fine.
However if you do want to hang out with them just do it. I know that can be much harder than it sounds but if you want to befriend this girl just try to be around, add to the conversation whenever you can, and if you want to go to the concert or anywhere else for that matter with them than just ask them if you can come, I doubt this girl will say no and social norms will prevent your sister from actively excluding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts