Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college student and I recently moved into a traditional double dorm room with a roommate. She and I are only in our second night in this room together, but yet I am already worried that she thinks I am weird. I don’t really say much, as I’m naturally very introverted. She doesn’t say a whole lot either, or at least not to me anyways. She did tell me that she doesn’t like to talk a whole lot, but who knows if she talks to other people at our school. I haven’t heard her say anything about me, but of course it is still early on. I’ll admit that I have some odd habits, specifically messing with my nails and not wanting to cry in front of other people. I was crying to myself earlier in our dorm room because I had a hard and stressful day, and while I was trying not to look at her, I feel like she might have been giving me weird looks. Am I really a weird roommate, or is this just my social anxiety kicking in?

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I've always been told it is going to be a college experience you must enjoy and experience. But I've always find the whole dorm environment and sharing a room to me always seems like a torturous experience.

I think anyone with SA will have their SA on overdrive in those types of situations. I dunno if your roommate has it too, but rooming together with a stranger within the first nights, I would think it will be just as uncomfortable for her as it is for you too. And she might be likely asking herself the same questions as you are in this post. Most people would, unless they both happen to be high extroverts. And even then, extroverts will be prone to clash too eventually. Just give it time and gradually put some slight effort to try to ease into having some small talk and chit chat here and there. I think once you can get some small talk momentum going, you will feel much more at ease gradually. Once roommates keep working at that mutually, eventually both will be more comfortable simply being themselves and no longer stressed as much to look perfect in front of each other. To me, this likely could be the typical early dorm roommates jitters.

·
SAS Member
43,971 Posts
I actually find it really odd that people share a room in the US we don't usually in the UK. It means that you have nowhere to get away from people, and these are people you've never known before. Seems like a bit of a nightmare to anyone who isn't very extroverted.

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
I actually find it really odd that people share a room in the US we don't usually in the UK. It means that you have nowhere to get away from people, and these are people you've never known before. Seems like a bit of a nightmare to anyone who isn't very extroverted.
In the first two years at boarding school, I slept in dormitories with several beds (very closely crammed together, with old-fashioned sheets and blankets! No duvets ever in the junior house, IIRC, unlike later). Then I shared with a nasty boy for about two years in a bunk bed, have mentioned that on here before. Not easy for an only child. It was tiny cubicles with thin wood partitions otherwise.
I don't think you went to an older/more traditional British university? It used to be very common in traditional halls, if you didn't have to share you were lucky. There were no en-suite bathrooms in traditional student halls/flats.

All rooms had a basin I think, it was common for boys at least to pee in that! The first boy I shared with was an archaeology student (I was a language student), it didn't go particularly well. He wasn't a bad person, but an eccentric character who had a lot of major issues I think. I don't think he's on Facebook, wonder what happened to him. I did complain to some other students in the hall about having to share a room. That probably made me look a bit unreasonable really.

I eventually got transferred (probably requested it) to sharing with another boy, right over the other side of the hall. He was an archaeology student, and IIRC a heavy metal fan. He was a lively character for sure, but don't think he had issues like the previous boy. He is on Facebook. I always remember how horrified he was to come in one day and find me blaring out Thunder (by British band East 17), from my stereo. That sharing experience went somewhat better. Though it could be awkward sometimes trying to tag along with his friends, because I didn't keep the friends I initially made in the first year (there were two of them I really couldn't stand, one was on my course. The other one was in another hall and quite nice. I don't know why he stayed with them).

In the second year, I stayed in the same hall for one more year, did get a single room and never had to share again. Made friends with some first year students, who were all or mostly sharing. None of them were on my course/related ones, it's infuriating I never really made any friends doing my subject. A (very nice) girl from my boarding school turned up after her gap year, she was in a triple room which was also a thing. She mysteriously left the uni suddenly, perhaps found it uncomfortable having me there because I had a long history of trying to chat her up. Also wonder what happened to her, she's not traceable online.

It was alright in my year abroad in Germany, after I got to know everyone on the floor, there was even a cat who lived there. After that I had a bad experience in en-suite student flats, partly due to a very posh bloke whom I didn't get on with. Someone reported me to the uni authorities, I got moved to another flat (with shared bathroom), where a girl at least knew one of my friends. That was a bit better. In my postgrad year, lived in a university-owned house. It was beautifully located on the hilltop, and unusually also had a cat (who died while I was there). But there were two girls, especially, whom I didn't really like. I once got drunk/annoyed about something and threw a bottle out of the window at a party, that shocked people.

·
SAS Member
43,971 Posts
@LydeaCharlotteGirl

Oh I wasn't thinking of boarding schools in that post but yeah it seems unusual at a lot of unis now to have shared rooms instead of multiple bedrooms. I didn't have an en-suite room, though some halls at my uni did, but every room had a sink in. It's also not as common to keep living in halls after the first year now, though I knew some people who lived in halls for the entire time they were at uni. I noticed some student accommodation near here have TV's in each flat too now. Not sure how long that's been the case though since I didn't go to that university.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am a college student and I recently moved into a traditional double dorm room with a roommate. She and I are only in our second night in this room together, but yet I am already worried that she thinks I am weird. I don’t really say much, as I’m naturally very introverted. She doesn’t say a whole lot either, or at least not to me anyways. She did tell me that she doesn’t like to talk a whole lot, but who knows if she talks to other people at our school. I haven’t heard her say anything about me, but of course it is still early on. I’ll admit that I have some odd habits, specifically messing with my nails and not wanting to cry in front of other people. I was crying to myself earlier in our dorm room because I had a hard and stressful day, and while I was trying not to look at her, I feel like she might have been giving me weird looks. Am I really a weird roommate, or is this just my social anxiety kicking in?
When you live together with others, you learn that everyone has their little odd habits - it's natural. I think this is your social anxiety kicking in :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts