Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I'm in my early 40's and STILL struggling with SAD. Medication helps a lot and I am able to do things that I wouldn't have been able to do before, but it's still always there. There is so much I KNOW I could do out in the world, if only it didn't take so much of my energy just to exist in public! I feel like huge parts of life are missing for me. Things that other people seem to enjoy and live for (work, socializing) are just so much mental work for me. It is a relief to be able to express all of this! Anyone out there around the same age that can relate?

Thanks!

Quiet

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
Hello:

I'm in my early 40's and STILL struggling with SAD. Medication helps a lot and I am able to do things that I wouldn't have been able to do before, but it's still always there. There is so much I KNOW I could do out in the world, if only it didn't take so much of my energy just to exist in public! I feel like huge parts of life are missing for me. Things that other people seem to enjoy and live for (work, socializing) are just so much mental work for me. It is a relief to be able to express all of this! Anyone out there around the same age that can relate?

Thanks!

Quiet
Talk to me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, I assumed I would just grow out of it until a few years ago when I first heard there was a condition called SA. I regret the things I missed out on in young adulthood, but am trying to salvage something from the time that's left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Quiet:

I just joined the forum. I know exactly what you mean. This is something I've been struggling with ALL my life. I'm about to hit 40 now and have finally worked up the courage to try and get some help. This weekend I plan on focusing on selecting a therapist and then making the call early next week for an appointment. I feel STUPID because I always thought it was just shyness, just my personality. What an idiot! How could I be fooled all this time?!? I didn't realize there was actually a name to this until I did a little research on overcoming shyness about 6 months ago. I found out what I have is more than just shyness. The articles I read on social anxiety disorder just leapt off the page at me. It was like OMG! That's me! But to answer your question, yes, I totally relate to how you feel at this age.

Best wishes,

QuietArtist

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good for you that you are planning to make an appointment! My general MD had to make the call for me. She knew if she left it up to me I wouldn't do it. Once I was on a very low dose of medication, I could feel a huge difference. SAD is certainly still there but at least I have a "fighting chance", as my therapist puts it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
609 Posts
well im 30 and ive had this my entire life..ive also thought i would grow out of it but i havent..i think it has lessened maybe but not much...i never knew what the hell was wrong with me and i always HATED myself for feeling like this..i stand 5'10 and weigh 210 with not much fat but when you have a war going on inside your head liks this, its impossible to just enjoy life like everyone else...i do feel fportunate that at least we know we have a disorder, just thinkl back to people 40 years ago that had this..they probably thought they were going crazy and they probably either stayed drunk all day or were comitted to in asylum or they just killed themselves...

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a good point, belfort. Back in the 70's when I grew up everybody probably thought it was just excessive shyness. I remember my mom would say 'snap out of it'. Yeah. I wish I could have, mom.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Quiet :wel

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi quiet :wel

I tried to not think about it & be o.k. Just staying isolated. I can't keep on like that anymore. Somethings going to have to change.

I turned 40 last month & just finding this too. I was also told to snap out of it by folks over the years. I think I eventually did the 'snapping' part but am still 'in it' unfortunately. Working to change/improve future. Time will tell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe that's it, Alone42long. Maybe, you and I want change because of 40 rolling around and we see that as a mile stone year. I've always heard that many people reflect on their life around 40 and that's when midlife crisis' can come in. I don't know. I like your attitude in 'working to change/improve your future'. I don't want another 40 odd years of this SA. Even if it were to decrease by half, I'd take that in a heart beat!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Quiet! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts