Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back during school years or at home now it's always been like this. Most days unless it was for attendance I went the whole day without speaking a word to anybody. Even when skipping class it wasn't really any different. A teacher said before in grade school she wish I acted up more like the other students because she tends to forget about me. My mom forever nagged how I was and am still a boring person who never tried out for anything or went to school dances. That I've graduated a few years ago have been isolated staying in the house. Going to family gatherings I just felt out of place and didn't socialize there either. Guess I could have regrets over the experiences I missed out on. But with the way I screw things highly doubt it would've change anything. Only during humiliating moments is when people tend to notice me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You pretty much described my life growing up. Once went almost 2 months not saying a single word to another person, not even when spoken to. I have spent most of my life not talking unless someone talked to me first. Just like you I never tried out for any teams or went to any dances or any school activity. I had "friends" in school that I hung around with in school but outside of school I spent most of my time sitting in my room staring at the wall. I actually got marked as absent several times because I would sit so still and quite that the teacher wouldn't notice me. A lot of times I wouldn't even do the work so there wasn't any papers turned in to prove I was there. I didn't want people talking to me or noticing me so it never bothered me and I don't regret the missed experiences. I think things would have been worse if I had done anything different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i feel a lot like that too. but i know theres nothing wrong with me. i might be quiet but that doesnt make me any less of a person. personally, i hate loudmouths or people who pipe up when they have nothing to say. for me, its a fact that quiet people get overlooked. in disney movies, the shy girl in the corner gets approached by the hunk when he finally realizes the cheer captain is a witch. in real life, that never happens. so i learned if you want anything, you have to take it. if you wanna get to know someone, you have to start talking to them. i still dont do it, its just what ive learned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You pretty much described my life growing up. Once went almost 2 months not saying a single word to another person, not even when spoken to. I have spent most of my life not talking unless someone talked to me first. Just like you I never tried out for any teams or went to any dances or any school activity. I had "friends" in school that I hung around with in school but outside of school I spent most of my time sitting in my room staring at the wall. I actually got marked as absent several times because I would sit so still and quite that the teacher wouldn't notice me. A lot of times I wouldn't even do the work so there wasn't any papers turned in to prove I was there. I didn't want people talking to me or noticing me so it never bothered me and I don't regret the missed experiences. I think things would have been worse if I had done anything different.
Definitely understand the 'school friends' thing. There was one girl back in grade school I hung out with around the neighborhood alongside a few younger kids. She got boy crazy hanging with the wrong crowd in only fourth going to fifth grade and didn't want to be friends anymore. Besides that it really was just associates in school you never saw/heard from during summer break or if they transferred.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m still at college. I’m nearly done but for the past 7 years I’ve sat in class and never spoke to anyone and been really depressed at times. There was one year in the middle where I made a few friends and then they left which was most unfortunate. I sometimes get surprised sitting in class and realising other people can see me, I think I dissociate because I write my name on the paper and it doesn’t resonate with me at all. I don’t feel like I’m there tbh. Recently though I’ve started to assert my presence a bit more even though I feel burdensome, and I’m asking for help with the work and things and it makes me feel slightly more present. It’s weird to feel invisible and for it to be reasserted when people completely ignore you. It feels pretty bad.

·
Socializing with myself
5,045 Posts
My English professor mentioned to me in her office that I'm quiet in the class. She has this belief about me being shy. I prefer being alone. The mentally enslaved people are bad for my health, because they don't show any human features.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts