Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have recently been having some anxiety issues and would like to avoid going on medication.

My question for you all is: Do you take any supplements or natural products to help with your anxiety? If so, what do you use?

How effective is it?

What exactly do you suffer from mostly (anxiety, ocd, gad, panic)?

And, is there anything you do not like about it?

If you guys could answer those few questions for me that would really help me out, thanks!

·
Banned
76 Posts
I'm a supp junkie and i refuse to take actual meds because they destroy part of our bodies... and our memories in some cases because they deplete vitamins and minerals specifically the B complex.... psych meds often times cause MANIA and confusion.

The drug Valium (anti-anxiety) was modeled from Niacin AKA vitamin B3.

If you drop a 1000 mg of niacin it does feel like a low dosage valium i suggest using inositol hexanicotinate Niacin rather than nicotinic acid and niacinamide... the inositol hexanicotinate Niacin will not cause flushing and if you are going to mega-dose to relieve anxiety you don't want flushing...

ok quickly to summarize from the material provided by the expert system below......

you want your minerals to be in citrate form... just keep it easy and simple and buy citrate rather than dumpster quality trash.

a high quality B complex supplement should be cheap and can be found with some other vitamins such as C

forget about tryptophan directly if you want to raise serotonin you can use a more direct precursor called 5-htp. after all when the expert system recommends tryptophan (the sleepy chemical found in turkey) what it really means to say is boost your serotonin... this can also be accomplished with exercise i recommend aerobic exercise for anxiety.

forget about herbs they will cause more anxiety than they solve and the problem with helpful herbs like Valerian is that you will develop a tolerance and remember any drug addiction/dependence will ALWAYS cause more anxiety than it helps.

i have no personal experience with GABA so i cannot currently comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Treatment & Prevention of Anxiety

Nutrients such as calcium and magnesium, B-vitamins, niacinamide, B12 injections (especially if stomach acid production is insufficient), tryptophan with inositol and chromium, valerian root, and GABA can have a calming effect.

Certain foods can worsen anxiety. Dairy products, chocolate, sugar, alcohol, wheat, salt, commercial salad dressings, ketchup (catsup), mustard, coffee, black tea, and red meat may worsen anxiety symptoms.

High-nutrient foods such as vegetables, brown rice, whole grains, seeds and nuts, fruits, poultry, fish, olive oil, and flax seeds/oil can help relieve stress and prevent anxiety. If you feel anxious, jittery, depressed or fatigued after eating a particular food, don't eat it.

In people with chronic anxiety unrelated to life events, an injection of sodium lactate will trigger a panic attack. Eating a lot of foods high in refined sugar increases blood lactate levels and can induce panic in susceptible persons. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol and refined sugars from the diet is essential for anyone suffering from anxiety.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C58563.html
Used by doctors and patients alike, The Analyst™ is an expert system that is unsurpassed in its ability to piece together the clues that your body is giving about its current (and likely future) state of well-being.

·
Registered
74 Posts
not saying anything bad about supplements, but i dont see any difference between them and medication, or food, or drugs, or air or water or anything really. everythign is made out of the same fundamental things, and the line between 'medicine' and 'supplement' is an artifical distinction made by humans. they are all just chemicals and if they work they work and if they dont they dont.

·
Banned
76 Posts
not saying anything bad about supplements, but i dont see any difference between them and medication, or food, or drugs, or air or water or anything really. everythign is made out of the same fundamental things, and the line between 'medicine' and 'supplement' is an artifical distinction made by humans. they are all just chemicals and if they work they work and if they dont they dont.
the difference is that meds are isolates that have been boosted 100x strength... that's not found in nature and its an isolated compound so it wreaks havoc on a body

an herb or a drug is a substance that they body doesn't naturally need so it can lead to addiction which is going to cause more problems.

ultimately you are correct that changing diet is the way to go however if you are deficient to start out with changing diet will take too long to show improvements so taking larger doses of a deficient vitamin/mineral is good to start with to get your stores back up.

i am personally a no-drug, no-herb, only nutrition and exercise believer because naturally we shouldn't be anxious so i think we need to start at square one at the bottom of the pyramid and figure out what is causing the problem rather than using some alien substance made in a lab.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
forget about herbs they will cause more anxiety than they solve and the problem with helpful herbs like Valerian is that you will develop a tolerance and remember any drug addiction/dependence will ALWAYS cause more anxiety than it helps.
Valerian isn't that bad about tolerance. You just have to make sure you only use it when you really need it to get some rest or something. If you take it all the time, yes. You'll build up a tolerance and it'll be just like you didn't take anything at all.

But I think Valerian is gentle enough that nobody has to worry about being addicted to it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Meditation has helped me the most. Not just meditation but also spiritual inquiry. Who 'I' really am and what the mind is and what it does and how it works.

Exercise has helped a lot too. Exercise and meditation have reduced my SA by probably 80% or so. From severe social anxiety to just a bit of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts