Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there were some way people could do penance or something for their crimes, to erase infractions, or instead of being permanently banned? like say something nice about 10 people or something? maybe they'd eventually learn the rules and stay within them?

i just think it's sad when people get permanently banned.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Minor transgressions receive Warnings.
Transgressions that are clearly outside of the Guidelines receive Infractions

3 Infractions within 30 days receives a temporary ban of 4 days to 2 weeks.
A second temporary ban will usually last 2 weeks to 30 days. Temporary bans are their penance.

If after all that, the individual still will not follow the guidelines then a permanent ban is give.

Often when you see a status of Permanent Ban and the person has very few post, it is because they are someone who was previously banned who made a new account. When we find these accounts, they are banned permanently. Occasionally, we will also get someone who is a troll and they are banned immediately. It is the same with spammers,

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Spammers get banned outright.
I have also had users ask to be permanently banned.

There have been people here who have been banned numerous times. We are usually lenient unless there is clearly an ongoing problem.

Just follow the rules and everything will be okay.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I can't even read A guys post because it reminds me of my infractions and how bad they are with the word infraction being typed in red. Although I am NOT complaining I am just venting my feelings. I think that infractions should be removed after a certain period of time. Like it could be my 1 year anniversary here present to have those removed.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh okay, thanks, i didn't realize that was how it worked.

i imagine people who have problems with authority would get pretty um, feisty towards the moderators, even if they were just enforcing the rules. and then they break more rules by arguing with the mods. and then they really lose it!

maybe if people could atone for their sins, like by saying what they did wrong in a thread, and apologizing to whoever they offended, their infractions could be erased. cause people don't want to feel guilty about doing something wrong, without being able to wash the slate clean, somehow. like they might start arguing with the mods to try to alleviate that guilt, ie putting the blame on the mods. and then it would just escalate from there.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Magic 8 ball

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Magic 8 ball
something i was wondering about that rule.. i've seen some posters who have made threads saying they made a new username because they were embarrassed to post about that topic with their original as they don't want others to know who they are, but i see that they are immediately banned permanently. do you check to see if their original name had been banned or that they were a troll? do you just ban that new username or do you automatically IP ban them even if they weren't originally banned on their old account (or were a troll, had warnings, etc)?

i always feel kind of bad when i see that happen and it looks as if they didn't know it and just wanted to post anonymously because of their SA :|

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Just follow the rules and everything will be okay.
Rules are often open to interpretation. The US Supreme Court wouldn't exist if there were universal agreement on interpretation.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Multiple Accounts
Only one account is allowed per person. If we find out that an individual is posting under multiple accounts we will either ban all their accounts or leave one account unbanned for them to use, depending on the circumstances.
Oldest account is usually the one kept open. Since very few people use their actual name they are already anonymous. There is no need for further confusion.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I still dont see why there isnt an option to change one's name, such as opening a new account. Esp if its done out in the open with the mods, even if one had to "apply" to do so. I would love to change my name, not to disguise who I am, but just to change it. It seems silly that I would get banned for that, even though I would have full disclosure with the mods and even carry "the poster formerly known as penny" in my sig for a while. Why is that "ban worthy"?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
The new account would be banned, not you. That is unless you became a pest about it and kept making new accounts.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
The new account would be banned, not you. That is unless you became a pest about it and kept making new accounts.
Well I understand that point, Don and believe it or not I understand why no name changes came about. I could be wrong but it seems like the name change thing was getting out of hand right before that happened, with some people changing quite a bit, and in great number. I also know it has to do with the board style. But what I am saying is why not have an "application process" where one CAN use the new account and you could ban the old....only ALLOWED name changes. How many changes have I asked for in nearly five years? I went from Penny68 to Penny. :lol I am just saying that if one if wanting to change their name, has never abused the policy, has posted hundreds or thousands of times, has complete disclosure with the SAS staff, why is this not allowed? 'Because we say so' isnt the answer I am looking for either. I can understand having a application system and extremely limiting changes but to say NO ONE can do it or the change will be banned and ultimately the person is pretty over the top, IMHO.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Not my call.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Well I understand that point, Don and believe it or not I understand why no name changes came about. I could be wrong but it seems like the name change thing was getting out of hand right before that happened, with some people changing quite a bit, and in great number. I also know it has to do with the board style. But what I am saying is why not have an "application process" where one CAN use the new account and you could ban the old....only ALLOWED name changes. How many changes have I asked for in nearly five years? I went from Penny68 to Penny. :lol I am just saying that if one if wanting to change their name, has never abused the policy, has posted hundreds or thousands of times, has complete disclosure with the SAS staff, why is this not allowed? 'Because we say so' isnt the answer I am looking for either. I can understand having a application system and extremely limiting changes but to say NO ONE can do it or the change will be banned and ultimately the person is pretty over the top, IMHO.
I understand where you are coming from.

The issue with this is then the policy becomes quite subjective in terms of what names changes are allowed and what aren't. The more subjectivity, the more complaints.

Here's what I'm going to do, though. I'll update the thread and let people know that the majority of name changes will not be allowed, but if one feels they have a good reason for the name change they can PM me and I'll consider it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts