Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
banana enthusiast
7,079 Posts
Humans have a social hierarchy just like any other animal. The ones at the top - popular, successful, influential - can be called the alphas, and the ones at the bottom - unpopular, unemployed, having trouble relating to people - can be called omegas. As long as people don't have completely equal abilities, this hierarchy is going to exist.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Humans have a social hierarchy just like any other animal. The ones at the top - popular, successful, influential - can be called the alphas, and the ones at the bottom - unpopular, unemployed, having trouble relating to people - can be called omegas. As long as people don't have completely equal abilities, this hierarchy is going to exist.
I would think this hierarchy will go away sometime in the future due to omegas not being able to find a mate and reproduce. Physical traits are less important than social traits and financial wealth for survival in this day and age.

·
Introverted T-Shirt Ninja
339 Posts
Here is a very interesting article about men whom are considered Omega males. Over 300 comments on the article. Read at your own risk.

http://www.slate.com/id/2248156/
So far, I found the comments to be more interesting than the article itself, not that that means much as I thought the article deserved a nice, round zero on the interest scale. (don't mean to belittle you, as you said it was very interesting, I just didn't find it all that interesting, not my kind of article, to put it simply.)

I would think this hierarchy will go away sometime in the future due to omegas not being able to find a mate and reproduce. Physical traits are less important than social traits and financial wealth for survival in this day and age.
But here you're ignoring two things:
1- the hierarchy applies to both males AND females of the species.
2- we humans have an amazing power of settling for things that we don't fully endorse, as long as it fulfils our needs (i.e. when given no other choice, many omega males/females will start considering each other as an option as long as it fulfils their personal needs.)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But here you're ignoring two things:
1- the hierarchy applies to both males AND females of the species.
2- we humans have an amazing power of settling for things that we don't fully endorse, as long as it fulfils our needs (i.e. when given no other choice, many omega males/females will start considering each other as an option as long as it fulfils their personal needs.)
The omega females will be taken by the beta males because the beta females will be taken by the apha males, when you factor polygamy into the equation.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
In some ways I feel sorry for people who think they can classify one another by greek letters and live to lose their ever-present virginity via casual sex with a stranger. On the other hand, it's morally disgusting as well as pathetic.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
beta males should correspond to family men. I think I am basically omega with rare alpha peaks.

·
Introverted T-Shirt Ninja
339 Posts
The omega females will be taken by the beta males because the beta females will be taken by the apha males, when you factor polygamy into the equation.
And where do the alpha females stand on all of that? Are they in a demi-goddess level which makes them unattainable even for alpha males?

With all honesty while I will not negate the existence of such hierarchy on any animal species, even Humans. I just can't quite accept how some people simply seem to mould their life around these (many times baseless) rules, without asking even once: "Why am I doing this?".

Summing it up, those might be real rules, but just let them happen naturally, obsessing with them will probably just make you more prone to slap labels on yourself for no other reason than "It must be this way. The rules say so.", people can be miserable enough without this kind of stuff.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
I think the only thing that separates classes is Drive and Willpower. Alpha males have tremendous drives for self improvement.

They have balls, and they go after things. They dont sit around saying why she doesnt like me, or why dont i have this. They say things like **** it, what else is new.

In comparison betas, are just average joes. The have some drive and some willpower but usually not enough of either to take them over the top

Omegas have no drive for improvement, very little willpower

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Holy sh*t, everything said in that article sounds exactly like someone
I know! :eek:

Guess I know an omega male, lol.... ;)
So where do you rank

I am a Bplus, but i could easily have been a B- if i didnt start to improve myself. Even a Bplus can easily become an Aplus with a lot of willpower and drive, where just as easily without willpower and drive he could drop down to B- or worse

OMEGA

·
Stay in your lane!
760 Posts
my thought on it is there's always going to be strong minded people and docile minded people. can't have one without the other, world would be a mess if only one existed and the other did not.

·
Security Risk
293 Posts
Yeah, its fun to pigeonhole entire human beings based on arbitrary classifications bearing very little if any real world significance.

I'm pretty sure all this talk about the alpha/beta/gamma dynamic as applied to human beings goes back to just being something sleazy pick-up artist self-help gurus types use to sell their ****ty books and seminars to gullible people with.

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
Guys, I don't know what you're on about. There are PLENTY of other males related to the Greek Alphabet. Don't believe me? Take a look!

Gamma Male - Well of course this one is quite self explanatory. These kind of men emit Gamma rays! A well known example would be Bruce Banner. Let's see an Alpha Male with muscles like these!

Delta Male - Amazing Delta Blues from these kinds of guys. Lots of ladies like men with musical talent. To the ladies who want their strings pluckin' and their sliders shakin', I give them the Delta male! Straight from the Missippi Delta!

Nu Male - Nu Metal isn't as big as it once was ten years ago - probably because most of it sucked, but hey isn't that guy from Otep married to Carmen Electra? Not too shabby...

Pi Male - Also known in some cultures as the "Baker Male". Sadly the Greeks mispelt "Pie". Dumb Greeks. On the other hand, everyone loves pie!!

Psi Male - Another mistake by the Greeks (Will they ever learn!?). Anyway, ladies can have a guy that can read your minds - just like in that Mel Gibson movie I never watched!

Stay tuned for more different kinds of males. Honestly, I don't know why you guys fuss over only three males. The Greeks didn't have a three letter alphabet. Theyweren'tthatdumblawls.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts