Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't really important, but I find my reaction to the situation incredibly odd, maybe you will too...just want to know if it's some weird brain response? Upon coming back from dinner, me and my two friends were in the same car. The girl driving was going really fast, and I didn't even notice because I was having a conversation with the girl in the back. So, this car turns out of a parking lot and into our lane. I notice we are approaching the car incredibly fast, so I yell the drivers name two times to let her know that we're about to smash right into the back of it. She breaks hard, and then skids to the right to avoid hitting them. We spin left and right, then after like 5 seconds finally stop.

Now, what I find weird about it, is that while spinning out, I was actually insanely calm. I was just observing the situation, and when I looked out my window at the oncoming traffic I actually couldn't help but laugh. When we pulled off to the side in the parking lot, I noticed my heart rate was completely normal and I didn't feel stirred up one bit.

I don't know, I just find it weird that I almost died and didn't even care.

·
SAS Member
31,298 Posts
I think it's because you're in a surreal situation so your body doesn't know how to react to it and you stay calm.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did it hit you later at all?

Inappropriate emotional responses are a thing for me, I have to remind myself that I really should be sad/happy/excited etc. in particular situations and act it out a bit...but I think if I had a near death experience my heart rate would be a bit erratic.

Meh, it's kind of odd, but I wouldn't worry about it...even though it doesn't sound like you are, so it's all good.

Glad you're ok :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts