Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my DNA screened because I wanted to find out whether I have a genetic predisposition to develop social anxiety or if my anxiety is because of social factors. It turned out that I have all three SNP variants that are associated with anxiety disorders. The chance that a randomly selected person in a population has all three variants is 1 %. So I have been extremely unlucky, to say the least!

Has anyone else tested their DNA and would like to share their results regarding SNP:s associated with anxiety disorders? :)

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it's probably not very common to have you DNA checked. There are several companies that provide DNA-testing 23andMe is probably the largest. Check it out if you want to know about your DNA it's pretty interesting I think. :yes

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I hadn't heard of there being any known genetics that can account for anxiety. Sounds interesting, and there's a few other things that I'd be interested in having my DNA tested for. How did you have this done and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I recently had my DNA screened because I wanted to find out whether I have a genetic predisposition to develop social anxiety or if my anxiety is because of social factors. It turned out that I have all three SNP variants that are associated with anxiety disorders. The chance that a randomly selected person in a population has all three variants is 1 %. So I have been extremely unlucky, to say the least!

Has anyone else tested their DNA and would like to share their results regarding SNP:s associated with anxiety disorders? :)
This is really interesting. The medical community really needs to hurry up and sort this out before purveying all the junk therapies we've been wasting money on and being hurt by. I am curious about this, regarding my own genome. One wonders how much of a role the epigenome plays. My father was very cruel to me when I was a child (Freud, Freud, Freud), but he himself was badly traumatized before I was born (epigenome, epigenome, epigenome).

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't heard of there being any known genetics that can account for anxiety. Sounds interesting, and there's a few other things that I'd be interested in having my DNA tested for. How did you have this done and how much did it cost?
I ordered a kit from 23andMe which was delivered by DHL to my apartment. The kit contained a tube and instructions on how to use it. It was fairly easy really. First I brushed my teeth and washed my mouth with water. Then I spat into the tube until it was filled around halfway to the top. Then I sealed the tube. As I sealed it, a chemical buffer was released into my saliva/DNA. Then I tossed the tube into an envelope which I sealed and sent to 23andMe. It will cost you 99 USD.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to get mine tested but can't afford it right now, 23andMe even give an estimated percentage of neanderthal dna you have
Yeah I'm 2.7 % neanderthal lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.