Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself that racing negative thoughts are the main trigger to everything tha deals with anxiety and its symptoms.. When my positive engine turns on I feel like myself again.. i feel like talking to people.. being funny..i feel hyper and pumped up full of positive energy... the thing is how to get my postitive engine turned on... Im taking cbt but some thoughts are just to hard to counter with positive thoughts.. I think all i need to do is change my way of thinking and ill be able to handle my SA.. Im tired of letting false none existing thoughts bring me down.. Why should something that is not true or irrational get the best of me??

I believe in myself and im confident.. but these false irrational thoughts are the ones that bring me down and make me feel very anxious and tense.. im not afraid of people.. im afraid of theyre thoughts and my thoughts.. how can i stop this?? Have you guys found out ways to beat these thoughts??

Ex of one...the toughest one for me prolly..
neg:"if i talk to this gilr as soon as i call her name and i get her attention my mind is going to go blank and i wont have anything to say.. Ima look ridiculous and she is going to think im wierd..if peole see me as shy or unable to talk well or nervous they will use it against me.. and use me.."

-those are pretty much the kings of all my thoughts.. how do I get rid of them?

Im pretty sure the girls that i want to talk to want to talk with me but still these thoughts are so strong that i just cant bring myself to do it..

·
Registered
690 Posts
I defiently know where your coming from on blanking out and feeling vulnerable to people using you or using it against you. The whole vulnerability thing I think is one of biggest fears especially because when Im anxious I feel like such an easy target.

I think probably the best way to stop negative thoughts is exposure. Try taliking to a girl and see what happens. Try going into a situation when you feel vulnerable. Its very hard but is a very good way to reduce anxiety.

Also another key when doing this is don't think about a good or bad outcome just think about doing it. If you do it you win whether it goes good or bad because it reduces anxiety. You also talk to your therapist about exposures mine introduced me to it.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
yeah, jumping in the deep end like that is pretty scary, and scary means anxiety, and anxiety WILL make your mind go blank! it's like it shuts down the language centers of your brain. doing things more gradually helps a lot.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
I find myself that racing negative thoughts are the main trigger to everything tha deals with anxiety and its symptoms.. When my positive engine turns on I feel like myself again.. i feel like talking to people.. being funny..i feel hyper and pumped up full of positive energy... the thing is how to get my postitive engine turned on... Im taking cbt but some thoughts are just to hard to counter with positive thoughts.. I think all i need to do is change my way of thinking and ill be able to handle my SA.. Im tired of letting false none existing thoughts bring me down.. Why should something that is not true or irrational get the best of me??

I believe in myself and im confident.. but these false irrational thoughts are the ones that bring me down and make me feel very anxious and tense.. im not afraid of people.. im afraid of theyre thoughts and my thoughts.. how can i stop this?? Have you guys found out ways to beat these thoughts??

neg:"if i talk to this gilr as soon as i call her name and i get her attention my mind is going to go blank and i wont have anything to say.. Ima look ridiculous and she is going to think im wierd..if peole see me as shy or unable to talk well or nervous they will use it against me.. and use me.."

Im pretty sure the girls that i want to talk to want to talk with me but still these thoughts are so strong that i just cant bring myself to do it..
I relate with that!

·
Banned
497 Posts

the best way to do it is to change core beleifs at an unconcious level

the automatic thought in your conious mind of ''if i go to this party and try to talk to people they will reject me '' is created by the unconcious beleif of ''if i put myself out there people will reject me ''

if you change the beleif at an unconcious level then you will find that your concious thoughts change automatically

the best way to change an unconious beleif is with the nlp technique - beleif change script, and also with thinkrightnow. thinkrightnow.com

·
Banned
800 Posts

lol you nailed it, thats probably the king of my negative thoughts too... but isnt it based on reality and rational in a way... I mean, I know what trigers my anxiety... attention from pretty girls... so I most likely will go blank, and all that stuff is gonna happen...

yeah hard to get rid of this one..

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol you nailed it, thats probably the king of my negative thoughts too... but isnt it based on reality and rational in a way... I mean, I know what trigers my anxiety... attention from pretty girls... so I most likely will go blank, and all that stuff is gonna happen...

yeah hard to get rid of this one..
Change how you perceive attention from pretty girls. It doesn't have to trigger your anxiety man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.