Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations for a laptop - I don't want to run anything major on it like Photoshop, etc - I need it for getting on line, browsing the web, and of course reading posts from Wonderful People like you.

What should I get???

Love, Brown-nose

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Linux operating system - it can run on older computers and you rarely ever EVER have to worry about viruses. Very inexpensive.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
research online for reviews
go to online computer stores
( example: newegg )
go to your electronic store and touch / play with the examples at hand
( Best Buy / Staples / Office Max / Sears, anywhere that might sell you computers )
find the best that fits your needs

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
If you aren't going to be running many programs and will use it for web and email you can look into one of the small web books. They only cost a couple hundred but they are limited on features. If you think you will want to do anything else on it then you can find full laptops for just a little more.

Brand wise, I like HP. I have 4 running in the house right now (3 desktops and a laptop) and other than the hard drive that just crashed on my newest I havent had any other problems. The oldest is about 5 years old and still running strong.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^hm..... sounds like an idea - I want to be able to use webcams (not for that!) and all, watch youtube, bbc iplayer, etc. I only *wish* I could pop into Sears. they ain't got no Sears here. which is a bit poopy.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
Ultimately, if you aren't looking to play high end games and resource heavy programs like piture and video editors then just about any laptop out there will do what you want it to do. So, you just have to look around and see what features you are willing to pay extra for. My laptop has HD outputs, wide screen, finger scanner, built in cam, etc that arent necessities but I was willing to pay a little extra to have them because they are cool and I actually use them. When comparing features, omit the features that have no value to you. For example, don't pay extra for a bluray player if you arent going to be watching bluray movies. It would be a waste of money for you.

Since you don't need the top of the line in terms of power, I would look around for some sales. Go to best buy or something and just play with a web book and see if it does what you are wanting. If you think you might want to use it for more in the future then it might be worth it to move up to a full size laptop. Any full size laptop sitting on the shelf will do what you want so if you go that route just get the one that you like.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ ooohhh, that looks niiiiiice. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts