Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, I'm starting to think alcohol has a huge effect on my anxiety.

After drinking it, for days after it seems my anxiety's worse.

Anyone else feel this way/is this possible?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't know if there is a relationship between anxiety and B-12 levels, but there certainly is a link between B-12 levels (and folic acid) and depression. I've read some reports in which psychiatrists recommend people with depression and alcoholics take B-12 supplements/shots, so maybe there is a link between drinking and B-12 depletion. It is also a well documented fact that B-12 is essential in maintaining neurotransmitter balance to prevent depression.

From http://www.clarocet.com/referencelibrary/B-vitamins/ "The National Institute of Health suggests that a deficiency of vitamin B12 can contribute to feelings of stress and anxiety. The link between vitamin b12 deficiency and depression related symptoms has also been demonstrated in clinical studies and case reports involving hundreds of patients."

and from http://www.mts.net/~baumel/B12.html "Columbia University psychiatrist Richard Brown and Baylor University neuropharmacologist Teodoro Bottiglieri (a leader in vitamin/depression research) recommend that all psychiatric patients take a daily megadose of 1 mg of oral B12. In The Way Up From Down, UCLA psychiatrist Priscilla Slagle suggests: "If you are over fifty-five, vegetarian or alcoholic, have extreme fatigue, poor memory, low thyroid or weight loss, I recommend you take 1000 to 2000 mcg of the sublingual form [of B12] every morning."

The point of all of this was that maybe the link between drinking and anxiety is neurotransmitter levels. As a person with Bipolar 1, I can personally tell you that drinking lowers my mood and is probably the worst thing I can do when depressed because it makes me more depressed and keeps me depressed longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a call today from my doctor that my potassium level is elevated. This can cause agitation and heart palpitations, similar to a panic attack. I'm also an alcoholic. I didn't know this until looking around on the net, but beer (my drink of choice) contains a lot of potassium.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also find that after a night of drinking that I'm a basketcase for about the next 4 days. I do know though that alchohol counteracts yuor meds and causes your body to "flush" itself. That's probably the reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard something like everytime a person with depression consumes alcohol, it sets them back three months in their 'progress.' My friend was told that by a doctor when she was going through therapy and her psychiatrist almost refused to keep seeing her after they found out she was drinking.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I've heard of that happening, yes. I'm not sure how it works. Opivy is right about the link between B12 and depression; I would assume a similar link between B12 and anxiety, and of course alcohol probably similarly interferes with other nutritient absorption which may impact anxiety. But not really sure how it works. I can't say I've noticed this effect from alcohol in myself to a significant degree.

I do know that if you are taking certain medications for anxiety or related disorders like depression, alcohol can interfere with its absorption and so should be limited.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Recently i've been thinking about 'self medicating' myself by drinking alcohol in anxiety provoking situations. I will be careful not to go too far but it's got to the point where i dont know how to cope with the anxiety anymore :stu

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think there's too much wrong with a few beers in social anxious situations. Just don't binge drink. YES I've had Anxiety problem for years and I can say with some clarity that HANGOVERS can trigger Anxiety attacks, which can last as long as any ordinary Social Anxiety attack.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I've used alcohol in moderation for SA in the past. I don't know if I ever had any rebound anxiety. I've only had a hangover once or twice in my life. I sort of remember sometimes where beer didn't help the SA as much as other types, I don't know why. I find now that I don't like the feeling of being drunk at all so I tend to avoid it. :drunk

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
it's hard to say what alcohol causes. a lot of people who turn to substance abuse have other problems, such as stress and anxiety. i remember when i had been drinking heavily for a few months i had a lot of insomnia/nightmares. i drank because of the day-to-day stress in my life. i don't know how much of my depression/sleep disorders was due to the stress or the alcohol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts