Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is your home air conditioned?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
A few air fans. Nothing that can really cool you down like air conditioning, but it's good for emergency.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got central air in October 1993 when we got a new furnace. From the summer of 94 onward we've been comfortable.

My father said that central air would cost too much in terms of electric usage -- a lie -- costs less than a couple window units that cooled far less rooms. And in 12 years now the central air has not required even a single repair! Now that's true reliability!

My father has a whole array of anti-AC propaganda. He said you couldn't have AC in a car as the engine would overheat. I've never seen the temp gague get above the half way mark even with AC on in 100 degree heat. I get the impression he may have been lying to me.

·
SAS Member
941 Posts
We have central air. Gawd, I remember before we had it....those hot hot summers....we suffered so much...:lol Now I really don't like the air conditioning, my dad has to have it absolutely freezing in here so I'm always......freezing.. :um

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
The only thing I have is a portable ac unit. It is on wheels, and I connect a exhaust tube that I put out a window. All the windows in my house are casement windows, so a regular window unit wouldn't work. This unit doesn't work as well as a window unit. The unit takes the cool air out of the room to cool the compressor, then throws it out the tube. It doesn't freeze the picture off the wall. It doesn't really work too good when it is really humid, and the temperature gets above 90. Luckily it doesn't get that hot very often here. Then the other disadvantage of this unit is I have to dump a water bucket every 4 hours. Not very fun getting woke up in the middle of the night when the unit beeps. I keep a couple of gallon buckets in the room and dump the water into them. Instead of stumbling to the bathroom to dump the units bucket. I think I will purchase a window unit at the end of the season. I think I will put my dad to work to put a double hung window in that room next year. He is retired and running out of things to work on at his house. :lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hema said:
But it's a dry heat ROTFL
"It's a dry heat" is what's said when it's so hot that sitting down wearing shorts in a car with vinyl seats will cause second degree burns and you can fry eggs on the hood of that car.

I don't care if it's dry -- if the temp exceeds your body temperature it's hot as hell!

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
No doubt, central air is cheaper than the window units.
My parents just installed a new central air unit this summer. Its supposed to meet the government's latest energy efficieny requirements. They only saw about a $20 increase in the electric bill for one month when it was run almost every day so they are very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The house I live in has what's called a "wall" unit because the unit is set into the wall instead of a window. I think it looks a lot better than a window unit. Anyway, I hardly ever use it. It gets hot around here, but my house is shaded by trees.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Central air here, in fact its on right now.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts