Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a teen and I want to get a part-time job, yet I know that its futile if I don't have the inner connections. Like a friend who's already working at a place to recommend me to work there.

So does anyone have any solutions? I've tried the filling out applications and waiting for them to call back. They never do. So with no friends what should I do?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'd give you advice if only I had any.

I'll soon turn 36, and as shocking as this may sound, I have NEVER filled out a job application nor submitted even a single resume in my entire life.

In filling out applications (that's plural!) you're already accomplished more than a man twice your age.

And I have no friends either.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm increasingly aware that networking is an important part of finding jobs.
Maybe your parents' friends, or friends of your family, work at companies that hire summer or part-time students.

·
Banned
791 Posts

I'll soon turn 36, and as shocking as this may sound, I have NEVER filled out a job application nor submitted even a single resume in my entire life.

In filling out applications (that's plural!) you're already accomplished more than a man twice your age.

You're self employed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I was a teenager I applied to a few places and never heard back. One man didn't want to hire me because he said I was too shy. When you are a teenager I think it is harder to get a job no matter what. Getting a volunteer job might help get you a real job. You will gain experience and that is something you could put on a resume. I didn't get my first real job until I was 20 through my mom's friend. Good luck!

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts

I'm 10 years younger and never filled out a job application either and have no friends as well. Bloob you are a success for someone with SA, you should be proud. Maybe your family could help you some? A cousin or something might work somewhere and be able to get you in, at the very least you could ask to use them as a reference. Anyway you probably already thought of that but just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was a teenager I applied to a few places and never heard back. One man didn't want to hire me because he said I was too shy.
That really sucks. It sucks that he said it to your face, not that its a reality. I know there are some jobs I can't do because I'm too shy (like be that person who asks you if "you need any help with anything").

The thing that really sucks is that a lot of my classmates have jobs, social lives, and clubs and they make it seem so easy. I've got nothing. :no As a matter of fact I'd work for barely nothing as long as I can just have a job.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That really sucks. It sucks that he said it to your face, not that its a reality. I know there are some jobs I can't do because I'm too shy (like be that person who asks you if "you need any help with anything").

The thing that really sucks is that a lot of my classmates have jobs, social lives, and clubs and they make it seem so easy. I've got nothing. :no As a matter of fact I'd work for barely nothing as long as I can just have a job.
Actually he didn't say it to my face. A nice older lady that I knew tried to get me a job through her son. He told her that I was too shy and then she told me. It does suck because we tend to be underestimated. Yes there are some things that we don't do so well. But then again there are things that we can do very well. You just need to find someone who believes in you.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
You're self employed.
Simply having credit cards that say I'm the CEO of KJS Asset Management doesn't make me employed. I also have credit cards that give me the prefix "Dr." despite the lack of a PhD or MD. Hell, I don't have any advanced degree at all. Maybe next time I'll choose to be "Rev. Karl":lol

·
Banned
791 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got my first job at 19 through my moms friend. It REALLY helped with my self-esteem. Before then the thought of having to fill out a job application, market myself and go to an interview TERRIFIED me! Because she was a friend of my mom I didn't have to interview or "sell myself" which was awesome because my self-esteem was so low, I would never have gotten past an interview (probably would never have even tried). Thanks to that job I have gotten 2 others on my own. The experience and the forced social aspect of a retail job has really helped me. I am still not able to hand in a resume or fill out an application in person, but I can do it over the internet & then I have to sike myself up for days before the interview. I would try the internet and ask your parents etc. if they know anyone who could hire you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Also got my first job through my mom. My second job was all me, but there was no interview (only written exam). I bet they would have reconsidered if they met me first.

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I got lucky with my first job because a friend from high school thought it would be nice if I worked with him. My second part time job came from me just randomly filling out online applications, I just couldn't handle walking into a store to do it myself. Both were very customer service type jobs and I have no idea how I kept them for so long. I think what I did was get really good at every aspect of the job except customer service. I'm rambling now... sorry. Anyway, just hang in there with the apps, eventually someone will have to give you a chance... even if it's because they have no other choice (for a teen seeking a job, what other opportunity do you have?)

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Try filling out an application and bring it to the manager. There might be a chance that the manager will interview you right on the spot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes always ask to see the manager, and introduce yourself. Usually reseumes end up no where if you give it to the cashier or employee.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Traineeships/apprenticeships are great as you don't need the skills. They basically train you on job. Or do work experience - simply to build up your social skills and work skills.

Actual experience in a job is far better than any credentials.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm 21 and have had 3 jobs since the age of 14. The first job I got was because my older sister worked there. The second one I got because they were having a hiring day and I just so happened to make a good impression on them. The job I'm at now I got my because my other sister worked there. I think it has a lot to do with who you know but you also have a good chance of getting a job during hiring times. I know that Target hires around May or June. And of course a lot of places hire around October to prep for the holidays.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It can be easier to find a job while you are in college, because they offer a lot of simple jobs to students like lab aides and flier distributors. Right now it is hard to find a job for anyone I would say, I am currently unemployed myself, not fun at all..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts