Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!!!! i just quit smoking 3 days ago, holding it very good, AND IM FEELING INSANELY BRILLIANT!!!! its so good, thing is i kept saying i will get out of my social anxiety and well it already feels like i am i dont wanna be to confident though.
but i researched a bit of stuff about smoking and agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder!!!

first i didnt know what agoraphobia was but thats exactly what i feel at presentations etc.

In the research they found that the risk of developing agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, is high in teenagers who smoke at least a pack of cigarettes a day.

defined as a morbid fear of having a panic attack or panic-like symptoms in a situation from which it is perceived to be difficult (or embarrassing) to escape

Remember im 19 and ive had these symptoms since i was 15. specially at school, and going around in town (fear of meeting my friends while in town dont know why) nothing else :) and i started smoking when i was 15

BUT I feel so much better socially now!!!! without smokes, i dont know if its just something with the nikotine just getting out of my body the first days, but i have NO anxiety AT ALL the urge to smoke is here, but i feel i have broken my anxiety problems when off of smokes.

just tell me if it is as im too confident now or wth is going on please :D

But could this have caused it???

I am looking forward to hearing from you guyz

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Congrats on quitting smoking! :)

I've never heard of smoking being linked to anxiety disorders. I believe nicotine is a stimulant, correct? If so, I guess that could affect someone who is prone to anxiety. Maybe that was the case with you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah man. Totally know where u at

Im way more calm without smoking..

But like, at the same time, idk.. im not?

Idk. I was just thinking this man, I got back from a veryyy long walk.. few hours all over.. and realized not only did I not drink coffee today, but didn't smoke much... mainly because I don't want to smoke much when my roommie is here long story.

But really I was calmer walking and calmer when I got back

But I then had half a cig..

My problem is around three weeks im, and especially going into 2 weeks it starts.. slowly.. and builds.. and I get extremely depressed.

But I think the main cause of that is..

Well not to go off topic. Good for you. I am probably joining u we'll see

·
Registered
257 Posts
My experiences..

Quitting in the beginning your more calm and its amazing

But slowly a different kind of anxiety starts building..

I think I know why also

Nicotine is a stimulant, but that's just one of other properties smoking has, for sure.

Basically I think nicotine is an antiinflammatory.. if u want to talk about this PM me

Peace

·
Registered
257 Posts
This may not be your experience with quitting but in truth 100% of the time I have quit I haven't made it past 1 month. Which is weird because in the first 5-6 years of smoking I was able to drop it doe periods and literally not think about it.

But life has gotten more responsibilities so

1 - 6 of 6 Posts