Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was a christian, was a satanist (now can't believe how stupid I was). Then I became an atheist because religion made me sick. Especially orthodoxy that is dominant in my country. I read the bible and I couldn't take it seriously - I mean it's like a fairytale! My family never was religious...but the older one becomes, the more he or she starts to find something that can protect them - an imaginare shelter It is often religion. But I think it will never happen to me because I can't believe that god exists. I deny any religion but I think it is possible that we humans are a part of some research...

·
Registered
195 Posts
In an ideal world I would be one of those well-rounded people who are tolerant of all religions. I try to make myself believe that I am unjudgemental but, really, I am far from it. I hate religion (not just Christianity) and all the restrictions they pose on their followers. I hate how Christian people look at me as if I am dumb the moment I tell them I don't associate myself with any religion. Sometimes I do wonder if there isn't some higher power up there (fate or destiny if not God) because there isn't a way to prove either way but I almost feel compelled to play the "vengeful atheist" and deny all possibility of that kind of stuff because people chow me until they can box me into a category.

Also, it amazes me that people go around "accepting" and making friends with people of other religions while believing that these people will go to hell because they haven't been baptised or whatever. I actually asked some Christians this and they were like, "duh."

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was never a Christian though did attend my parents church as a child and am not averse to occasionally going with them as an adult. Religion doesn't make me angry though. It was never forced on me. Not once going to church as a child did I hear that anyone was being condemned to hell, none of that fire and brimstone stuff. Having Christian parents who didn't push their spiritual views on us growing up I feel it's easier for me than some others to see that those who use religion as something hateful are just being as human as a lot of those who despise them for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was raised in a fundamental sect of Lutheranism. It was a major turbulence to turn to agnosticism, then atheism.

Sometimes, for a fleeting moment, I fantasize about going back. Mostly for the feeling of belonging and community and support and love.

But on the whole, I don't think that there are holes in my world view. I feel that I have negotiated a non-deist world view that works for me, that gives me enough answers for me to be okay with them. Something I never had with religion. So re: religion, I am really at peace.

And then I die, my atoms will turn into other people or animals, or plants or rocks or even stars, or maybe all of those things, in an endless cycle, so I will never die. I won't be conscious, probably (hey, no evidence against it), but it's still a nice enough thought to me. So what holes are there that you feel religion might fill? Maybe we can help you out here?

·
Registered
403 Posts
My mom is holy roller Christian. I'm not. I am not an atheist either. I honestly don't know what I am. To an extent I believe in Christ, but I don't practice christianity as a whole either and I seriously have my doubts about a lot of our existence and what this planet is made of. I have learned to question a lot. I used to be really high-faith Godly and knew that I could turn to God for anything. For the past 10 or so years, I have lost that. I am more on the agnostic side now.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts