Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd start one of these threads for this section (since I don't think there is one).

Obviously, this entire section can be a bit of a problem because we do have different types of people on the forum and there are obviously some religious people on this forum. So try and keep that in mind when you're posting here. I'm as guilty of it as anyone else but if you say anything that's too toxic, it might have to be removed.

·
Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
I like to think I'm agnostic since I do share the view that we cannot provide empirical evidence of a deity (or deities) nor does it seem to impact our lives in terms of intervening in order to prove if there is one or not. But I feel like if one is at least raised to believe or follow a religion then it stays in some ways even well after no longer believing. It's a bit conflicting knowing you simply cannot believe in religion, nor any god, yet seem to keep aspects of it that preserves some form of an identity.

·
We all wear a mask.
1,801 Posts
Nice idea for a thread.

I'm currently listening to Tim Pool's April 23rd podcast with Michael Knowles of The Daily Wire. They are on a rant about how Judeo-Christian values shape even an atheist's morals and how an atheist's idea of god is quite simplistic.

Politically, I'm probably close to a center-left libertarian although I don't like labeling myself. I find myself agreeing with conservatives on certain social issues but whenever I listen to conservatives like Michael Knowles and a center-left individual like Tim Pool discuss God, I get quite annoyed. They basically described society as crumbling because of a lack of god. Here I am, an atheist, and I'm not some crazy far-left or far-right identitarian. I get miffed by wrong doing on both sides.

TL;DR - It's annoying when conservatives blame societal decay on a lack of god.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I live in a tiny village in a Catholic country. All of my neighbors over 40 go to church every Sunday. I didn't do my confirmation as a teen. I never go to church. And no one gives me any **** for it. I don't know how it is in the States, but my complete indifference towards religion has not affected me in any way whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
(I almost started one of these in this section several times but figured nobody would post in it; good to see one is finally here.)

I was so relieved that my dad never said anything to me about religion before he died. I thought that perhaps he understood me well enough to know that I'd never go back even if he asked me to on his deathbed. Fast-forward to today, almost two months after his death, when my mom plays a video she captured on her phone of her asking him a bunch of different questions about what he enjoyed in his life and messages for people he would leave behind, like a legacy video or something. And sure enough, at one point he said that he "knows what I read" that caused me to leave their church and begged me to "reconsider."

I'm so devastated. I respected my dad probably more than anyone else, and he seemed so much more understanding than my mom when I left. But I guess he didn't respect me or my decisions as much as I thought he did. He thought something specific I read led to my resignation -- but he was wrong. There was no one thing; it was a snowball of a great many little things over the course of more than 20 years, mostly my own experiences, thoughts and feelings. Certainly not some book or article, although I'm pretty sure I know exactly what he's referring to.

It shouldn't matter because he's gone now and I'm fairly certain that I'll never see or talk to him again. But it disturbs me greatly on a deep level and I can't seem to shake it. After everything I did to break away and live my own life, free of the hypocrisy and toxic perfectionism, after all of the blood and sweat and tears and outright ostracization by so many people I used to know including parts of my extended family... I'm still nothing but the "prodigal son" just waiting to be "saved" to them.

I ****ing hate religion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts