Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Rock Kicker
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here....excited to read the words of others kind of like me. I just turned 27 and have been like "this" since age 12. Sometimes Im so disappointed that I pretty much wasted all the years since then.

How old are you, and how long have you been SA? Do you see yourself ever overcoming this? And anything else you may want to say.

· Registered
289 Posts
I am 28. I don't ever remember NOT being like this, and so no, I honestly don't ever see myself 'overcoming it'. I don't even know who I would be without it- I would be a truly different person, not myself at all- so I don't see that ever happening.

It has gotten worse in recent years however, and that I do hope to change, but I highly doubt I can ever get to a point in my life where it isn't just 'there'.

· Registered
61 Posts
I'm 35, I'll never be truly over it.. but I'll be able to keep it contained somewhere far far away in the attic of my brain.

I think that's what happens. It's like if a guy has one leg, he'll never grow it back.. but he eventually learns to be really good on his other leg..

You 'adapt'.. I think that's the word I was looking for..

· UnDeRrAtED
34,721 Posts
How old are you, and how long have you been SA? Do you see yourself ever overcoming this? And anything else you may want to say.
Hey Ive been anxious since I remember being three but not very much detailed. anyway im 24 and have had sa all my life. The possibility of overcoming sa "feels" almost impossible so their is a possibility.

· Registered
252 Posts
I'm 35, I'll never be truly over it.. but I'll be able to keep it contained somewhere far far away in the attic of my brain.

I think that's what happens. It's like if a guy has one leg, he'll never grow it back.. but he eventually learns to be really good on his other leg..

You 'adapt'.. I think that's the word I was looking for..
Haha I like that.

Im only 22, but I have had SA and been very anti social my whole life.
I don't think I will ever break free from this, but I am open to anything.

· Registered
869 Posts
i'm 24 but i will be 25 in about a month, i had sa since like age 19 and i'm making tiny attempts to overcome it such as no more internet gaming and i go outside on local bike trail instead. not much progress so far mostly because i don't have a job. i feel like im in a catch 22, need a job to have the resources to better overcome sa, but can't get a job cause of sa/economy.

a little frustrating but i guess i just got to suck it up and work harder to get a job i keep avoiding. also i feel like im getting old age 25 makes me feel like i need to hurry up. i think i can overcome sa one of these days.

· Banned
768 Posts
Hi. I'm new here....excited to read the words of others kind of like me. I just turned 27 and have been like "this" since age 12. Sometimes Im so disappointed that I pretty much wasted all the years since then.

I'm 35, I've had it all my life. I didn't know what I had until 1999. I was in college and got severly depressed, so I went to see a college psychologist about it, she diagnosed me.

I still have SA, but looking back over the past 15 years, I feel I've made some pretty big progress toward overcoming it.

Yes, I believe that I can overcome it. I don't know if this help anyone, but one thing I've found is that the more I focus on my career, focus on all of my goals, and focus LESS on the SA, the more progress I make. The more I let my ambition guide me, the better I do.

What really motivates me, is that I've done things in the past 15 years that I NEVER thought I could do when I was back in high school. And this motivates me to want to try to clear more obstacles.

· Registered
13 Posts
I am 25 and i have had it since about 13 when it kicked in. My issue is mainly answering the phone with people I am not "completlely comfortable" with. And my shyness gets the best of me sometime, until I really get to know ya. And yes, I have complete faith I will overcome it, I just have to figure out how. When there is a will, there is a way!!!!!

· Registered
608 Posts
I'm 31 and have had SA pretty much all my life though it didn't become debilitating until my twenties. I don't know if I'll ever overcome it. I guess I'm just hoping to be able to live with it at some point. Maybe not have it be the focal point of my life. But the mark it has made on my life can never be erased.

· Banned
2,848 Posts
31 --and I've been this way since about the age of 12, and can't imagine ever completely conquering it. I think it's possible to live without the symptoms for the most part though. Things have been improving over the last month or so.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.