Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 23 and I've had a few jobs that I failed at because of my anxiety. The longest one was at a grocery store for four months and I was a bagger I just hated being around so many people I would get nervous just walking down an isle. About a year later I'm still looking for jobs but when it comes to oppurtunitys like applying at the mall or being a waiter at a restaurant I can't get myself to do it because I have this fear of people. Stupid thoughts that make no sense like what if I see someone that knew me or that I'm not gonna click well with everyone because I'm socially awkward. I tell myself this is the only way you will get over your fear but then I don't go through with it. I use to be more willing and force myself to go to jobs like that grocery store or fast food jobs but they all didn't workout because of my anxiety and my work performance. Is it my best bet to throw myself into the wolves den if I most likely know I'm not good with people? And if I don't I'm just being too picky and negative? Ive limited myself from soo many jobs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take the plunge. Take some of those jobs. If anything, they will help you slowly become more comfortable around people and that's a small victory for anyone with SA. Now, it will obviously be difficult, but what isn't in our lives? You would be taking a proactive step to curing yourself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For I just feel like it would be so overwhelming i hardly go to these places and when I do Im so uncomfortable. When I see myself working at these places i see me failing I'm honestly not the best guy to take orders from a group of people and even if I don't want to be there I don't know how to fake a smile or be friendly with a customer unless were away from people. It's weird I noticed I talked more to people when I was in the parking lot away from everyone. It's like this even with friends I can only talk to people when I'm not around alot of people. Bottom line I have no back bone
Ungortunately.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you're right that you have to force yourself into social interaction if you want to get better at it, but sometimes it's better to do it gradually. My first job was in a retail environment.I absolutely hated it. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing and would panic every time a customer asked me a question, and I was too scared to ask my supervisors to train me better. I quit after two months. After that I started college and didn't work for another year because I was so scared of repeating the experience. I finally got a job at my school's library that didn't involve a lot of talking to people. It STILL made me nervous, because I had to deal with supervisors, co-workers, etc., but it was tolerable, and the nervousness subsided over time. After working there for three years, I feel like that retail job wouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, if possible, maybe you should aim for getting a job you're a little more comfortable with - for now. I know that goes against what a lot of people on these boards say, but in my experience, it's best to build your confidence slowly. If you get a job that doesn't scare you as much, you'll prove to yourself that you are capable of holding down a job, which makes you more likely to go out and look for one in the future. I highly recommend library jobs for anyone with SA, if you can find one. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't really hiring at the moment unless you have a master's in library science. You could also look for data entry or something like that. Also think about what kind of career you want in life and think about how you might work your way up to that. When you're motivated by something you like, you're more likely to push yourself.

The bad news is that the economy sucks, and you might not have the freedom to wait around for the perfect job, so if you must, try to compromise. For example, maybe waiting tables would be too anxiety-provoking, but hosting at a restaurant is easier - and once you get comfortable with that you could work your way up to waiting tables.

Good luck with your job search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.