Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im not exactly afraid to sleep but I am afraid to wake up. The reason for this is that when I first wake up I feel like crap for much of the day and later on in the evening I begin feeling better. So I have this mental thing going on where it is hard to go to sleep or tell myself that I need to go to sleep and I end up tossing and turning. I kind of fear the next day and what it will bring. And I fear feeling like crap again throughout the morning and midday. Anyone else going through anything like this?

Its a rather restless feeling like I have no idea what to do with myself.

Maybe I should say I am afraid to start the day again over and over.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Im not afraid to wake up but Im afraid Im "not" gonna wake up.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Me too I feel like hell in the morning. At the moment I can't sleep because I don't want to dream, at least when you're awake you can control your thoughts... somewhat... you can't do that when you're sleeping. I sleep for about 3 or 4 hours then wake up naturally now. Went through a phase where I couldn't sleep soberly, still the case sometimes. I don't like sleeping it feels like luxury, I've seen people on here say that before how they refrain from sleep on purpose...

·
Banned
877 Posts
I'm usually afraid to sleep because of nightmares or sleep paralysis. I'm not afraid of what a new day will bring though. That's usually far from my thoughts. I started thinking to myself that a new day is inevitable; losing sleep will not keep the sun from rising. I have serious sleep deprivation and I have irregular sleep patterns.

·
APRA
257 Posts
I just feel so much anxiety at night i understand what your going through man. im afraid of what the new day will bring and if it'll just be a repetition of the last. Its a constant internal struggle of either confronting my problems or escaping onto my computer or tv. At least i found this site where i am talking about some of those problems including SAD and finding advice in beating it.

hey u might be depressed if your feeling like crap throughout the day, fatigued and stuff. I feel tired all the time throughout the day to and it gets better in the evenings for me also. i havent seen a shrink yet but its not such a far fetched thing to say its a symptom of depression.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can relate to being afraid to sleep. For the past couple months, I have being having bouts of insomnia. I am afraid to fall asleep because I know I will end staring at the wall/clock and overthinking my life and what is wrong with it. In morning/afternoon, I am zombie who is too tired to do anything. At night, I wake up and can't fall asleep. I do not know what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
totally!

Had to reply to what you said. How you explained that is EXACTLY what happens with me and has been for years..I dont think Iv ever been able to explain it so well actually,when i read it..it just rang so true..thats basically my life!!its soo crap! :(

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
It's anxiety.

Anxiety actually wakes us up. That's natural - the moment where we wake up from sleep. Since our anxiety is abnormal, we get it more often....or in your case afraid to wake up. Dreading the day ahead will naturally cause one to fear waking up in the morning. We all have to do it, though.

The key is learning what exactly you are afraid of....or are afraid of facing which causes the anxiety. If your expectations are too high, lower them a bit - make them more manageable.

We get ourselves into this anxiety, so it will take a while to get out of it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i hate tossing and turning and not being able to sleep, and then feeling like crap the next morning. probably my caffeine addiction has something to do with it.

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
i try to postpone my seleep as long as i can until i just pass out. then, i dont ever really notice it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts