Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, and it's pretty pathetic....Still living at home at age 40....
With my mother and older brother upstairs...It's a high market area, rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is about 1,200+ plus utilities....And I work eves, have the whole downstairs of a split-level house to myself....Have some options, 17 years at the same job, 35K a year which isn't great in Ma., 40K in CDs, 110K in 401K etc...My friend wants to get a place with me, is about in the same boat, have known him since 1st Grade, trustworthy but an extreme manipulator and parasite...It would be kind of like trading my current troubles in for a different type of trouble, plus paying rent....But I am still the same kid that I was 20 or 30 years ago, living at home, with no door to your bedroom, and an over-controlling mother....I will never evolve, or grow life coping skills living at home....Every night that I go to work, my mother comes down and throws stuff out, rearranges things etc. in my own bedroom...She is kind of a control freak and has to have absolute control over everyone and everything that lives in her house, even if I do pay her 350 bucks a month rent.....I have a major drinking problem, problem with SA, depression etc. and am afraid to move away from the house that I have lived in since childhood...Money for rent without a purpose is like throwing the money down a drain...But how much is sanity or maturity worth? I am a screwed up individual and moving out could either be the greatest or worst mistake of my life...To put it honestly, I don't trust myself to live alone...With no safeguards or human contact, I would probably devolve into a piece of furniture or be hanging by a rope....Plus, my lifestyle is not going to change of and in itself no matter where I live....I could pay a bunch of rent, be lonely and depressed, live with an annoying and parasitic person that gets on my nerves but is completely trustworthy, or stay at home in the prison that I live, with no control over my surroundings, always treated like a child etc...No good options here I think.... puzzled, troubled, and depressed....Dave

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think you are right....It is at least worth a shot....Things are not going right now, so any change could possibly be beneficial....My problems aren't related to my current circumstances, but they are never going to get better under these conditions....Basically, it's leave the nest and fly or fall...But at least I would have the chance to fly....And I am never going to learn responsibility, self-discipline, and life coping skills living at home....They are acquired through experience, not age....I am scared of change, but that is something that a grownup has to endure....It's not like I don't have any options or recourse....I agree that it makes no sense to move if I don't change my lifestyle as well....Your problems move with you....It's a nice house that I live in, but some control over my surroundings, responsibility, and privacy would be nice....If I don't do it now, when? When I am 50? Moving isn't the answer to my problems, but it might be a positive first step....Maybe if I wasn't living in this prison now, where I was treated like a child, I might have a chance to grow...No definites, but at least a chance..Thanks for the response....Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.