Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
WinterDave said:
Here is the deal, and it's pretty pathetic....Still living at home at age 40....
You're the only person on SAS that I'm aware of who can beat me on that measure. I'm 32 years & 4 months old, living in the same house since birth. I expect that I'll end up here forever after my mother dies. The home would go to me & my two brother and I assume I'd buy out their share in cash and remain here till I too am dead.

Other people have certainly suggested moving out to me, but I fail to see the point. I have no social life and moving out isn't going to magically change that fact. Having no social life means that mom doesn't get in the way, since it's not like I'm inviting over dozens of people for wild parties & orgies in which a mother would really kill the mood.

I also know that renting doesn't give you privacy. My brother lives three blocks from us in the upper flat of a duplex. He pays rent for the priviledge of not being able to make noise between 10pm & 7am as required by his lease. He can't do laundry in the basement during those times, for example. I just washed a load of towels and a shirt in the middle of the night -- meaning I have more freedom than he does and I'm not paying a cent for this freedom. I can also listen to the TV as loud as I want at 3am and stomp across the floor as I wish, which he can't do in a place that he pays to rent. I thought folks got their own place for privacy & the freedom to do as they wish, yet it looks like I've got a better deal than he does.

WinterDave said:
My friend wants to get a place with me, is about in the same boat, have known him since 1st Grade, trustworthy but an extreme manipulator and parasite...
That doesn't sound like a great deal. If someone is annoying part time, just imagine having to put up with them 24/7 living with you. My oldest brother has owned a duplex in Madison, WI since 1989 and when he got it he inherited the ideal upper teanant: an old couple that's as quiet as a Church mouse, that pays rent on time, and you know they're never going to trash the place. The husband died, but the little old lady stayed on till she had to go into a nursing home a couple years back. My brother is currently renting to two guys -- one is his handyman/friend and the other is apparently a middle-aged guy that is aquainted with guy #1. The handyman has a serious drinking problem (2 DUIs and he's only 25) plus erratic behavior (like beating his truck with an antique sword in a fit of rage). And the handyman is the good one. My brother is trying to get Randy (loon #2) evicted because he fails to pay rent and is apprently the tenant from hell. Moral of the story: living with others is not good.

WinterDave said:
with no door to your bedroom
Buy a door & a lock and use them! It would be money well spent. That will keep mom out unless she's into busting down doors. I have a lock on my door, though I'm not sure where the key is. I don't feel any need to use the lock as my mother never goes through my stuff.

You speak of maturity. I'm not sure paying rent buys maturity as it's quite easy to find immature people who live on their own.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.