Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April, a kid responded to my roommate survey that I posted for college. He was going to do random, but saw my thing. We talked a bunch on AIM, and after three sessions I asked him if he wanted to be my roommate and he gladly said yes. I asked him because I was too afraid to do random, not wanting to get a Satan worshiper or anything like that. We speak maybe twice a month, and I am afraid to meet him. He lives like 20 minutes away, so there really is no excuse. I just don't know what the hell we'd do, and I feel it'd be awkward. He invited me to his graduation party yesterday, but I couldn't make it. I wish he lived in another state so I had an excuse not to have to hang out with him before.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
well if you don't meet him before moving in, moving in will be much more awkward. what if you went to a small concert or something?

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
I think its great you are getting to know your roommate beforehand.

Find an activity like gocart racing, where you can have something fun to do so it won't be so awkward.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My freshman year at college I only talked to my roomate once through email. Meeting someone new is always a little awkward but I wouldnt pressure yourself to meet him beforehand. It is perfectly normal to meet while moving in first day of college and it won't be weird because you both are going to have a ton of new stuff going on that you will be able to talk about and do together. Even if you are not friends the anxiety will most likely wear beccause you are going to be forced to exposed to each other to where you're going to end up comfortable around the person. Good luck with it

·
Registered
99 Posts
I remember when I was younger, or at least couldn't drive, my parents would make me go with them to Austin or San Antonio and go to stores or meet with clients and stuff like that. What Tony99 is saying is true, when you're forced to be exposed to someone, you'll eventually be comfortable around them.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
yeah. I had 3 random roommates in college and I got along with all of them. I really think it depends more on what you're like. If you are a friendly person, I think it is easy to make friends with most people when you have to share a small room with them for a year.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Well the good news is that you already talked and you're getting along with each other, so chances are you'll get along when you meet up. I would say to plan something fun when you decide to meet up so you don't have to talk the entire time and you'll have a fun getting to know you in person experience as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should do a group hangout if you can. You know, you bring a friend or 2, and your future roomie does the same. That way you're comfortable with friends and you'll be able to get to know what he's like with his buddies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts