Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been at this community in awhile! miss some of you guys.

Does anyone get this fear that they will lose the few friends they have?
I have a long history of having a few friends and then none at all do to drifting apart or me isolating myself.

I started seeing a therapist in 08 and was diagnosed with social anxiety. It is mild though but it has effected my life too long. Sometimes my anxiety was worse than other yrs.

Well in the last 2 months I saw a new therapist and she knew more about social anxiety than the other day. She diagnosed me with social anxiety too so Im sure I have it. Its just mild-moderate. I actually tried to put myself out more and posted a craiglist ad in the platonic section.

I met two girls from there and we clicked. Went out and did things-went out to dinner, to another city to explore, emailed each other back and forth.

I even started to go clubbing almost every week. The first time I Was there I was kinda scared to dance. But I got use to it and comfortable. The first and second time I was upset no guys would go up to me. My therapist said it was most likely my body language.

I attempted to work on my body language. I tried to look around more instead of staring in space. I smiled a little bit more and thennnnnnnn guys started asking me to dance and even some guys asked for my phone number. In return I started to feel even more better about myself.

--
Well the last 2 weeks one of my friends met this one guy that she really likes. Though she just met him Im happy for her. Its just I feel that some girls forget their friends when they meet guys. She doesnt have many friends either but im afraid she will drop her friends for the guy. We still hang out once in awhile but she doesnt email or text me as much as she used to. Im not trying to be needy. I dont want to hang out with a person 24/7 . I like my space but im afraid she will eventually just stop talking to me.

Im been however attempting to keep up contact with my 2 friends ...because from my therapist i heard thats how to keep a friendship.

The other friend I met on clist well she hasnt been hanging out with my friend and I for weeks due to being depressed about some guy that she does not want to be with who lives all the way in california. we live in ohio btw. Ive made attempts to get her to get out more because isolating herself will just make her more depressed.

each time she says shes going to hang out with us..she makes an excuse . she said she would hang out sometime this week but who knows.

These past few days I thought about isolating myself again. I know deep down that would be a bad idea. All the progress I made would go down the drain. I even stopped taking antidepressants 3 months ago due to seeing progress. I dont want to be back on them again. I even stopped seeing a therapist.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try to stay in contact with them. If they don't reciprocate then that's their problem, you did everything you could.

I would just like to add that it bothers me to no end that so many girls will just drop all their friends when they meet some guy. It's so stupid.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I even stopped taking antidepressants 3 months ago due to seeing progress. I dont want to be back on them again. I even stopped seeing a therapist.
you should stay on antidepressants if you have depression. theres a study that shows depressed people's brains shrink if they don't take their meds.

·
Registered
834 Posts
don't listen to the poster above . i hate when people quote such a broad study like it is a full established fact in science and has been repeated countless times in the laboratory setting.

I'm off anti depressants and my head still seems the same size and i feel more authentic then i did before.

As for your friends situation, do you work or go to school or anything? those should be great places to find new friends. try to look around for more friends , you seem to have the qualities now to make them. good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
don't listen to the poster above . i hate when people quote such a broad study like it is a full established fact in science and has been repeated countless times in the laboratory setting.

I'm off anti depressants and my head still seems the same size and i feel more authentic then i did before.
they've done imaging scans that proved it. the fact that your head still seems the same size is laughable. have you done imaging scans to prove it? i didn't think so

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you should stay on antidepressants if you have depression. theres a study that shows depressed people's brains shrink if they don't take their meds.
I am not against antidepressants but why should i stay on antidepressants if i dont need them? ive been off of them for 3 months and have not had any episodes
my situation has gotten better so i realize thats why im probably less depressed

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

As for your friends situation, do you work or go to school or anything? those should be great places to find new friends. try to look around for more friends , you seem to have the qualities now to make them. good luck
yeah i work but i dont connect much with coworkers. im out of school. graduated in 06.
im stil looking for more friends to build more of a social network

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try to stay in contact with them. If they don't reciprocate then that's their problem, you did everything you could.

I would just like to add that it bothers me to no end that so many girls will just drop all their friends when they meet some guy. It's so stupid.
oh yeah it annoys me. even if i found a guy i would still try to keep my friends. your life shouldnt revolve around a guy

anyways my friend said she wants to maybe hang out next weekend. shes been hanging out with this new guy almost everyday and they have only known each other for a week.

oh well good for her . she says hes a nice guy

my other friend who well has been depressed because of a guy in cali way across the country said she might want to meet up with me tonight. but im not going to get my hopes up because she has kinda blew off meeting for weeks due to the guy. i just hope she feels better and not let him drag her down. oh well people learn

·
Registered
155 Posts
oh yeah it annoys me. even if i found a guy i would still try to keep my friends. your life shouldnt revolve around a guy
Definitely not, I've seen so many people have to try to pick up the pieces of their former life when they break up/divorce someone. I'm never going to let that happen to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts