Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, one of the things holding me back is the inability to call people. Like... sometimes I cant even call my own mother! It's really affecting my ability to keep friends, or make any sort of connection to people. It also is affecting my ability to get a job, as I am terrified of calling them back.

With friends I constantly think I am going to interrupt them and then they will get mad or something and not like me anymore. I know this is totally stupid, but I just cant get rid of the feeling. The other problem is I dont know what to say, this is the bigger problem when calling about jobs.

Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
Phone phobia is a very common problem around here. Not a month goes by that SAS doesn't see at least one thread on it. Most of the SAS members who've ever dared to call me were intoxicated at the time. About 14 or so have been brave enough to call me at least once; at least 100 have my phone number.

· Registered
179 Posts
the phone is a huge threat to me..when i think about it the phone it seems like no big deal...but when the phone rings i just cant get myself to answer it...somebody from this site told me to take baby steps at using the phone...look in the phonebook and call 3 different restaurants a day and ask what time they are open until? this may help you be a little more comfortable with the phone. hope this helped :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah my girlfriend constantly would give me a hard time for it. She would also tell me it was no big deal, but she just doesn't get how difficult it is for me too call. She has actually called places pretending she was me.

· Done with SA
1,821 Posts
I avoid phones as much as possible. It's a huge barrier if you do make friends and they want you to call or they want to call you and you don't want to talk on the phone... ever.
I'm trying to get better at it, though.

· Registered
106 Posts
I hate phones... If I'm home and the landline rings, I won't answer it (unless someone is home to yell at me for not answering). With my cell, I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. And even then I'll often let it go to voicemail. I'm afraid the person is calling to yell at me or something.

· Registered
928 Posts
I dont have a 'mobile' (cell) anymore because of this. Ive had many panic attacks picking up the house phone.

· Born Of Blotmonað
22,246 Posts
I've had panic attacks quite often when the phone rings,

It's one reason I don't have a cell anymore, I always let it go to voicemail & people were very annoyed with that. I still have panic attacks at times when the phone rings here at the house depending on who it is, it's really up & down for me.

Still the worst problem is conversation it self, I often have little to say or simple can't keep a natural flow of conversation even when I do

· Registered
103 Posts
Haha! This is totally me. I hate returning calls, and I usually tell my friends that I got too busy to call back. Although, I know that's not the truth. I screen every call that I get at my house and never answer a call when I can't recognize the number.

I know this sounds just typical of some people, but I have such high anxiety even when the phone rings. I'm also afraid of the mail. Bills and bad news and such. I wait til the mail lady drives off and turns the corner before I go out to the mailbox.

· In 'da 707
4,392 Posts
i am so glad someone understands
i am so glad someone understands

and i thought i was some kind of freak

one jerk friend i had actually harassed me about it. THAT DOESN'T HELP. thank God others understand what I am going through.

i love you all so much.
:hug I sure do understand. Phone phobia sucks. I have the same thing w/emails and IMs, although those are a bit easier than the phone.

· Registered
575 Posts
I used to brush my teeth before calling pizzahut.
Pizza hut would be the only place I'd call as a kid cause we had no food and it was either call or go without+get yelled at. I thought they would be able to see me through the phone (I knew they couldnt but I had to be tidy anyway so I would get changed brush my hair teeth as if I were going out.Write down my 'script' of every possible piece of infomation they might need.

I still hate calling places, but I can if I feel like I really need to.

I had 4 months to call the university about graduation, I waited till the very last day possible cause I was so scared.

· Banned
175 Posts
Oddly enough that is something that has never bothered me, in fact I usually enjoy talking on the phone I think because I do not experience the intense stress and nervousness I often do when I am talking to someone face to face.

I like to chat and talk fairly often but the one-to-one, face to face conversation is a bit much most of the time so the phone is a great alternative.

The only time I get really stressed out on the phone is talking to bill collectors !!!

· Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
yeah i am absolutely terrified of making a phone call, I'lll sit and stare at the screen for a few minutes before i can muster up the confidence to dial the numbers. it makes having to return calls for work and stuff absolute hell

· dirt person
3,070 Posts
I refused to answer the phone until i was ten years old. Now I'm mostly okay with it, but I still freak out when I have to call someone I don't know and I don't know who's gonna answer the phone.

· Registered
68 Posts
I get scared when the phone rings, especially if the number it's coming from is someone that I'm afraid of/don't want to talk to (my landlord, an ex, etc). I don't like answering it. I can't call anyone except my mom, and that's only out of guilt. I can't even call the pizza guy--thank goodness for online ordering. >.>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.