Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way. I always stay quiet around people who have an impression of me always being quiet, and never change because I'm afraid of what the reaction might be. Like what if one day I suddenly start being talkative? Everyone will react surprised, maybe laugh if I'm being awkward, etc. It's like that around a lot of people, even my family in some ways. My dad knows I'm shy, what if I have a girl come over or something? I know that wouldn't happen but it's something I think about. lol

I always want to stay the same way because I'm afraid of the reaction of me doing something that's..."not me" :/

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
This happens to me. People say you can 'be yourself' with your friends, but what if they're used to you being quiet? One day if you start cracking jokes and talking, they might not react the same where as if you first met them and talked a lot and cracked jokes they would be used to it.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Yeah, I often feel this way but then I feel even more retarded if I have a random outburst and then go back to being quiet. That really throws em off.

I'd rather be labeled the quiet one than to be one of the louder a**holes. It's as if they do it on purpose, they just want to show off and act stupid because they think their awesome but really they are just annoying and sound ridiculous.

OH LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, I CAN TALK, OHHHHHHHHH. Who gives a s**t. NOW I'M GOING TO WALK OVER HERE AND BELITTLE THIS DUMB ANTI SOCIAL F**K.

F**kers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd rather be labeled the quiet one than to be one of the louder a**holes. It's as if they do it on purpose, they just want to show off and act stupid because they think their awesome but really they are just annoying and sound ridiculous.
I definitely agree with that lol. One benefit is it's easier to not come across as a egotistical douchebag. And I'm fine with being known as a little quiet, but I get annoyed with people who constantly say "you never talk, you're always quiet" etc, instead of maybe trying to start a conversation? Some people I think just like to point that out but don't care about talking to you.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I definitely agree with that lol. One benefit is it's easier to not come across as a egotistical douchebag. And I'm fine with being known as a little quiet, but I get annoyed with people who constantly say "you never talk, you're always quiet" etc, instead of maybe trying to start a conversation? Some people I think just like to point that out but don't care about talking to you.
Exactly and do you ever find that it's not always different people who call you quiet but it's often the same person coming up to on a daily basis. They always word it different to. "You don't say much do you", "your pretty closed mouthed aren't ya", "your awfully quiet, what are you hiding". I've never in my life ever told somebody that they were quiet even if they were. I don't see what the point would be of saying that to somebody. Do they think it's going to get you to open up more and would they even talk to you if you did..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! The more they say I'm quiet, the quieter I get. If I'm with a group of people I usually throw a few comments out there (not many!), but as soon as someone says "you're so quiet", then I basically say nothing after that. I kind of feel put on the spot like they expect me to suddenly start talking.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
We should start a new trend and be like "you talk too much", "why do you talk so much"?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm exactly the same with people's reactions. I kept thinking about coming out of my shell in my last year of school (everyone was getting along) but i always stopped myself because i kept thinking about how they'd react if suddenly i started talking. I feel if i had talked just a bit more i would definetly have made a few good friends but i kept thinking about how weird it would be to just start being different all of a sudden.

Thinking back on it i'd say most people would have been delighted if i'd finally started (i was even asked a couple of times when i would snap out of my shyness, in a friendly way :yes)

Another reason that stopped me was that i thought to myself it would be better to have a fresh start in college with people who didn't know me so i should forget about them and move on. I have to say i regret not doing anything :|. That was last year and i've basically been doing nothing for the last year but i'm starting in September so hopefully i can make a fresh start :)

I know i shouldn't give a **** what people's reactions are and just do my own thing but its not that easy when its so ingrained into you :no

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah this worries me too, comes back to that ingrained fear of rejection for me, I'll just naturally be quiet around people that expect me to be quiet even when I feel like I could contribute more. I have this weird idea everyone has their set 'role'.

·
P4
1,238 Posts
Oh man, this forum never fails to surprise me, it's great seeing people have such similar thoughts to your own! *happy*

Anyways, yes, I often feel that too, when there are times (and they are very few) when I was talkative, my friends would think that it wasn't me... or me-like? This goes especially for comments that could be considered rude, since I'm generally nice, if I say something rude it gets interpreted as extremely rude. Yet if another person says it would be perfectly fine. And since I have to act a certain way in front of a group of people and their acquaintances I have to keep up this persona each time I'm in public. I don't even know what the real me is like anymore since I've done this for so long.

I think this did come from my childhood years when kids said I was quiet and shy, when in reality I was just slow and didn't understand social conventions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts