Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live with four other people who happen to be two couples, which is awkward enough, and they don't know the details of my life. I told them I am a student, but I am not right now, and I don't have a job. It's really frustrating that I have not been able to make myself even apply to jobs for the past few months, but I have begun to do that today.

Anyway, I basically spend all my time in my room sleeping or on my computer. My housemates are all out of the house most weekdays, and when they come home in the afternoon I try not to come out of my room at all. I usually wait until everyone has gone to bed to leave and get food or to pee or whatever.

It's super awkward for me and I have become really paranoid and anxious and I think they are judging me. I don't want to say anything to them. I know the truth of it all would make me sound like a real loser. It's hard being so different from them. I struggle to do the simplest of things in life and I'm sure they can't relate to my struggle.

Right now I am hiding in my room. I wanted to do my laundry, but a few of them came home early and are now watching a movie in the living room. They will definitely notice if I come out my room! I am so afraid of them judging me for being at home and not at work or school or whatever. How can I face my fear and resist the urge to hide all the time from the people I live with?? :afr

·
Author
242 Posts
Have you tried maybe try to explain to them your situation? I can't really help because I've not been there. And I know how difficult it is to approach people. Sometimes I feel that way. I live with both my parents and I'm always in my room. I worry they may think I'm lazy (I know they don't) but my anxiety gets the best of me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried maybe try to explain to them your situation? I can't really help because I've not been there. And I know how difficult it is to approach people. Sometimes I feel that way. I live with both my parents and I'm always in my room. I worry they may think I'm lazy (I know they don't) but my anxiety gets the best of me.
I don't really have the courage to explain it to them. And it would be weird, because I rarely have full conversations with them anyway. And I think I would feel like a real loser if they...well, thought of me as a loser. And how could they not think that, seeing as how I am still dependent on my parents, haven't graduated from school, and have no job??

·
Registered
27 Posts
They may have been in a similar situation themselves in the past or know people who are not employed. Try and remember that people are usually too wrapped up in themselves to be spending time judging other people. They might be curious about what you get up to so if you get any questions you could just say you are looking for work at the moment.
Jobs can be difficult to come by so they will probably relate to your struggle and may even have contacts of places that are looking for employees. I can understand it's difficult but you deserve to spend time in the communal areas the same as them and the light interaction would be really beneficial. You shouldn't have to feel like a prisoner in your own home :)

·
Author
242 Posts
And how could they not think that, seeing as how I am still dependent on my parents, haven't graduated from school, and have no job??
I can see where you're coming from. I myself have not had a job for the past 3 years! (I still live at home) And I know it's difficult especially with SA. I know what it's like to feel like a stranger in your own home. I do like to clean a lot and sometimes I do cleaning around the house just so I don't feel "useless" and know my parents won't think I'm a bum lol. Maybe when they're gone you can help them with the housekeeping? It will not only show them you are helping but it will also make you feel good about being there. I know it's difficult to leave your room but little by little you can start to feel better. Don't beat yourself up about being dependent of your parents, you are blessed that they care about you and help you out. Keep your head up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts