Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am Doug. I've suffered social anxiety since as far back as I can remember. I'm in my mid 20's now and starting last November my anxiety has sky rocketed to a state where it is troubling my everyday life. I have been prescribed Paxil earlier this week and after 3 doses I decided I will get through this without being medicated. I hate knowing I'll need meds to make me feel normal and function in society. Anyways, i've been having panic attacks since November and I have learned to get past them without getting in the way of life but at the beginning of June I had a panic attack in my car which made my arms go numb and cramp up. I thought I was having a stroke and parked my car in the nearest parking lot and got a ride back to my house. I then felt uneasy and was taken to the E.R. where they said I hyperventilated. Now I can't drive. I can go in public and be social as possible with my anxiety but just the thought of driving gets me nervous. I have driven myself twice since then and both times I couldn't control my panic and my arms went numb and cramped up. I'm completely anxious to get away from my car before I even enter it. Anyone experienced this or has any advice about operating vehicles when their body goes numb due to panic attacks?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts