Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.

I need some advice. Some techniques I can use.

I'm going on a trip with my aunt to some place. We'll be on the bus for about 13 hours. With a bunch of other people. And the place we are going to is a tourist attraction so yay! More people. -_-.

My anxiety has recently acted up these past few months. I have had panic attacks, anxiety attacks, and have developed some social anxiety. So I have an extreme worry about having an attack on the bus and at the place. I am just constantly worrying about this. I don't do well in social situations. I hate sitting down for a long time. As with my anxiety disorder..my mind tends to run a mile a minute. Especially when I'm just sitting down.

Anyways do you guys have any advice on what I can do to prevent myself or at least ease the chance of having an attack on the bus? I know this trip is going to be a challenge. Any advice on how to distract my mind? I'm carrying books to read and a journal with me. But it's really hard to stay concentrated this time around.

Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thank you. :) .

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
13hrs? Damn that is a long trip lol. I took one of 3.5hrs recently and it actually went by pretty fast but 13hrs... sheesh!

OK, a few things:

1. If you don't want to talk to anyone, just put in your headphones and look out the window. Music is good coz it blocks out people and thus you are less self-conscious and thus less anxious.
2. Pretend to sleep, no one will talk to you if you look like you are sleeping.
3. Talk to your aunt. I find talking to someone, especially about something interesting, takes my mind of people around me.
4. Meds

Hope that helps. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would bring ear plugs or ear phones to stick in while you read a book. I personally find noise to be the most overwhelming for me usually, so some good ear plugs could possibly help you too. I'm thinking because it's such a long ride, the bus will have bathrooms. I find a warm drink, like tea or hot chocolate, soothing, so maybe you could bring a thermos of that? And put some calming music on your phone, or even just your favourite music. Try and look out the window.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 13 hours. Well I believe it is 13 hours. For some reason to get to this place you can't just go through the state..you have to enter two other states and then go back to the original state where the place is located in and go semi around that state. If that at all makes any sense. In reality it's really annoying. But the scenery is pretty. I've been there before....that's how I know. Lol. But I wasn't suffering from anxiety that time..so I was calm as hell. Lol.

Thank you guys for your advice/help on this. I'll def try the things you guys suggested.

Sort of dreading tomorrow. Trying to keep the anxiety at bay as I write this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also forgot to ask. But does anybody know any apps that would be helpful? Like meditation apps or relaxation? Anything along those lines would really help. Thanx.

·
Registered
538 Posts
On the top of my head..

- meditate, close your eyes and dream yourself away, Count Down from X-number.
- reading books, that captures you
- have some music with you on ipod so you can close the bus off and try to find some new music you enjoy and makes you relax/happy.
- get a rubix cube, read on online guide on how to solve them and do the challenge at the bus. Try see how fast you can complete it.
- Say and repeat the following when needed: "Is is okay I got this feeling, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a feeling in the moment, nothing less and nothing more".

Hope you will have a nice trip :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Also forgot to ask. But does anybody know any apps that would be helpful? Like meditation apps or relaxation? Anything along those lines would really help. Thanx.
I know there are some motivation/confidence/anxietyfree aps about hypnozes, but they cost a bit doe.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The headphone thing sounds like a good tip. Also you could stay up all night the night before the trip so you'll probably be able to sleep a lot on the bus.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the top of my head..

- meditate, close your eyes and dream yourself away, Count Down from X-number.
- reading books, that captures you
- have some music with you on ipod so you can close the bus off and try to find some new music you enjoy and makes you relax/happy.
- get a rubix cube, read on online guide on how to solve them and do the challenge at the bus. Try see how fast you can complete it.
- Say and repeat the following when needed: "Is is okay I got this feeling, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a feeling in the moment, nothing less and nothing more".

Hope you will have a nice trip :)
Thank you for your help. I'll try these out. I'll def try repeating the saying/sentence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts