Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My disability agency contact has suggested I get my GP to sign me off work (depression) and possibly even claim benefits. I've made a appointment with my GP but no idea if I'm bad enough to do this or what the impacts would be on finding future work e.g. if they ask how many days sick I've had.

I'm with an agency. Bizarrely as I was writing this they rang to offer work next week and she kept asking if I was OK and was really nice so I said I want at least a week off due to depression.

I feel I've had enough of these temp jobs and it's pushed me too far. I'm 28 and have a PhD, haven't got a suitable job for 2 years and been working as a secretary or similar in a series of low paid jobs. My partner can support us (bills etc), so may not be eligible for benefits and I do have enough money for a month or so. A lot of my self esteem is linked to finding my first graduate job. I feel physically sick just thinking about jobs or hearing about other people's jobs/job hunting.

Feel :( I've never officially taken any time off due to depression. I'm worried if I take time off to feel better (as this adviser suggested) I won't go back. I'm anxious, but at work I'm using phones and dealing with people and it keeps my people skills at a certain level.
I also worry on the other hand that the Dr won't take me seriously as I'm not assertive. I feel as I can struggle through with some degree of normality they won't do anything. I keep wondering how much I can take before having a breakdown, but seem to keep ticking along.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to work for a supply teaching agency, so I can empathise. I had no support from them as at the time I was undiagnosed and everything - although clearly ill. But, anyway.

My experience is that doctors are sensitive to how you really are, and what you really need right now.

I work 27 hours a week [in a library and the attached stock office.] Yes, it looks like I'm coping, but below the surface there are adjustments in place to help things run more safely for me. And plenty of support in place. Plus being on medication.

I think, personally, that counselling or therapy would be the best thing to help you work your best way through all this, and maybe some meds, at least in the short term to help you cope. But I'm not a doc, just a long term depression survivor, who also has worked for an agency.

The Mind site has lots of useful info, including the 'Mind Guide to Working Life.'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts