Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

Two months ago I got invited to an old school friend's wedding. I've never been to a wedding so I was pretty excited and immediatly said I'd go. I've been regretting my decision on and off for the past two months. I'm going alone and I don't know anyone. I am freaking out.

The wedding is this weekend. On Saturday I told my mom I was not going. I'd send the couple a nice gift and that was that. On Sunday my friend wrote to me to tell me how excited she was that I was going to be with her on her special day and invited me to a pre-wedding party that will take place on Friday. How could I say no?

Now, I'm freaking out again because be it Friday or Saturday I'm worrying myself sick with a thousand worst-case scenarios (I won't know anyone, people will think I'm underdressed/overdressed, they'll be staring at me, etc, etc). Any advice on how to brave through this and avoid sitting myself in a corner without talking to anyone (which is what I usually do when I'm highly stessed, but then I go home and regret having done that- sigh)?

Thanks!

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
One word...booze. Not, stumble into the wedding cake and throw up during a drunken toast to the couple level of drunk, but buzzed enough to take the edge of reality down a notch.

You won't be the only one there under the same circumstances, likely.

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
I work as a wedding dj and every weekend I see the nights evolve from a sober point of view.

Weddings prove to me that I never want to get married. Especially because of the way that women act at weddings. They're either telling everyone off for ruining the brides special day (that's right not the couples day, the BRIDES day), or they're making sure that no one wore the same dress, or they're drinking themselves into oblivion because they're 30 and they're single with no children, then they start hitting on the dj. Which is gross and is never in any way feminine or dignified.

If you're there alone, and sober, go and talk to the dj or the photographer. I can guarantee that they will have stories to tell you that will make you smile :)

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
hmmm....being a dj at weddings...another career option I should consider!
Admittedly being a wedding dj has made me never want to get married

Modern weddings are all about the bride, the groom is just there as a handbag. I don't think I'd ever stoop so low as to let a girl to use me as a tool for a wedding

Sometimes I feel tempted to write down everything I see at weddings in terms of the emotion and the mood and culture of the place. I feel like if I did I would completely bring down feminism entirely because weddings from my perspective prove women are the superior gender lol

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Stagg, I think you might want to take your collection of stories and observations and write a book. I think it would sell!

Sorry, op, for the off ramp from your topic!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One word...booze. Not, stumble into the wedding cake and throw up during a drunken toast to the couple level of drunk, but buzzed enough to take the edge of reality down a notch.

You won't be the only one there under the same circumstances, likely.
LOL thanks Kyle, although I'm not much of a drinker, but maybe a quick shot of something before I leave the house... humm... :b

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I work as a wedding dj and every weekend I see the nights evolve from a sober point of view.

Weddings prove to me that I never want to get married. Especially because of the way that women act at weddings. They're either telling everyone off for ruining the brides special day (that's right not the couples day, the BRIDES day), or they're making sure that no one wore the same dress, or they're drinking themselves into oblivion because they're 30 and they're single with no children, then they start hitting on the dj. Which is gross and is never in any way feminine or dignified.

If you're there alone, and sober, go and talk to the dj or the photographer. I can guarantee that they will have stories to tell you that will make you smile :)
Good advice, except that the problem here is me actually having the guts to randomly go speak to the dj or photographer. I get blocked and can't think of a single thing to say when meeting strangers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stagg, I think you might want to take your collection of stories and observations and write a book. I think it would sell!

Sorry, op, for the off ramp from your topic!
Apology accepted :)
And Stagg that book would be pretty fun to read!

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Having gone to a few alone, my advice would be don't try to stay too long - don't get there too early or stay too late.

Anxiety can tire you out pretty quickly, so don't expect too much of yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having gone to a few alone, my advice would be don't try to stay too long - don't get there too early or stay too late.

Anxiety can tire you out pretty quickly, so don't expect too much of yourself.
Thanks TicklemeRingo! I definitely plan not to stay too late.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts