Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I'm just really, overly sensitive. I take things so personally and get my feelings hurt way too easily. A good way to put it is that I'm kind of afraid of people or I fear social situations because I don't know what people might say or do. I dwell on things and tend to take bad experiences/not so nice things people say/do as a reflection of my worth. Like, my rationale tends to be there must be a reason why people say things to me or whatever, and I just hope it isn't true. All of this leads to bouts of depression, too, even though rationally I know I blow things way out of proportion.

For the past few years, though, I've been doing better because I've been feeling a little better about myself and avoiding situations that make my issues worse. It's just that recently I got a job and of course it's in retail, which is probably the WORST field someone like me could get into. I thought it might help me conquer some of my social anxiety...it HAS to some extent actually...but on the other hand, it's been drudging up some of my old issues with sensitivity and depression. Some of my coworkers are really patronizing/treat me like I'm stupid and the new assistant manager is actually kind of mean. Her whole attitude is surprisingly bad, and she's actually flat-out mean sometimes (and definitely unprofessional). I dread having to associate with her at all because I always end up feeling really negative about the whole thing and usually about myself. Today I came home and just broke down because I felt so incompetent and worthless. I've been trying to distract myself all day but...well, here I am. I'm debating calling in sick for my next shift because I feel like I just can't take it. So basically I'm at the desperation stage of non-coping.

If anyone can give me any advice on how to get through this, anything that has helped you in the past, I would be so appreciative. I don't have anyone I can really talk to about all of this at the moment, so I'm sorry about this post being so long and depressing. I'm hoping it might help me feel better to kind of get it off my chest...

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Can you talk to the head store manager about it? Maybe he could move you to another department.
You shouldn't feel uncomfortable in your workplace, especially when you'll have to deal with customers too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh, I totally get your situation. I hated retail too, because it made me (still does, that's why I don't want to work in it again!) feel inadequate, horrible, not important. Like Full of Empty said, try talking to your supervisor and see if you can get moved on the floor doing stock or something that isn't heavy on the customer interaction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to read my long and angsty post :) I'm glad there are people who understand what retail does to a person! :sigh

Unfortunately, I can't be transferred anywhere because I work for a small business, and all the sales associates do a little bit of everything (so I can't avoid dealing with customers sadly). I don't know how telling the manager would go over, but I think it would seem ridiculous.

I was thinking (once I calmed down a little) I might want to wait it out and see if it's as bad as it felt like yesterday, and maybe try and see if some of my other coworkers have issues with her too...and gather evidence, I guess. I'm too afraid to actually say anything to the asst manager herself, not that I would confront her - I would be respectful about it, of course. I just don't know what I would say. Right now I'm really anxious about having to work tomorrow because I'm sure she'll be the one there for most of my shift...:afr
Also, are there ways to desensitize yourself at all? Any ways to distract yourself/cope? Ways to make yourself feel better?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts