Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SA is a very diverse illness, as your doctor probably has told you. It is not a condition that can be treated with medication as of yet. The tolerance of xanax and other drugs in the same category makes the treatment worthless.

I was prescribed to both of these medications and also ADHD medication. None of it helped whatsoever... It just made me not know who I was...

The simple fact is there is no cure for SA and you have to live with it and conquer your fears.

However, I am not a doctor so I cannot say if there is in fact a medication that removes your false fear and doesn't build up a tolerance.

Overall Tranq for SA in my own personal EXP: Good for Short Term and horrific for long term.

Share your thoughts. Of course everyone is different and I appreciate your opinions; even if you do not agree.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The drugs are not worthless because you build a tolerance to them, even if you can only use them one day a week, that's worthwhile.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
SA is a very diverse illness, as your doctor probably has told you. It is not a condition that can be treated with medication as of yet.
**** off. There's plenty of medications (most of which are not tranquilizers) that have helped people overcome SA

However, I am not a doctor so I cannot say if there is in fact a medication that removes your false fear and doesn't build up a tolerance.
:roll

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**** off. There's plenty of medications (most of which are not tranquilizers) that have helped people overcome SA
Really? Show your sources.. I know of no one who has overcome this illness through medication.

No need to swear bud.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Really? Show your sources.. I know of no one who has overcome this illness through medication.

No need to swear bud.
That's a pretty hasty generalization. There's a lot of people in the world, and just because don't know anybody that has overcome SA through medication doesn't mean that no one can overcome it through medication.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From my own experience:

I was on clonazepam for 10 yrs and it did help a lot in the beginning but when tolerance built up and I was left with the addiction that I'm still trying to overcome.

I was on pregabalin 150mg for 1 month and it did help A LOT I had to discontinue because of RLS.

I started again today on 50mg first and will increase slowly to see if I cope with it this time.

I agree with some of you here. There are medications for it, they may not work greatly but they do help a lot and sometimes you can have something near to a "normal" life.

I am also very optimistic about what the future medications/therapies may provide. We are already seeing promising results from the use of oxytocin and many other drugs. Let's keep the fingers crossed that something that really solve or perhaps cure be found.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Thread Locked.

Giving unprofessional medical advice is not recommended. This is between doctor and patient and should not be encouraged or discouraged by unproffesional no matter how well the intent. This is also turning into more of a debate so we'll leave it at this for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.