Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADs are for depression , some have an antianxierty agent but thats for cronic anxierty not social ,an they dont kick in for months. for social anxierty or extreme shyness as it was called 10 years ago.Treatments are A COUPLE OF BEERS , HIGHLY ADDICTIVE BENZOS, OR JUST AVOID STREES. 9O % of people have social anxierty an cope the best they can on SFA . Now cronic anxierty is followed by depression , now you are in trouble an need ADS, your mind goes awol , you get the under the blanket syndrome where you carnt leave your bed. you are unable to work ,go to shcool even foget to eat .You may even need to be in the mental hospital to monitor your mood, every bone in your body aches an tears flow like rain for no reason. Your face will tell the story as you age over night an you wont be able to hide you illness .If this is your illness by all means hit the ADs if not just get on with life. Better still go to the mental hospital an look at mental ill people its another world , an a scary sight :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
ADs are for depression , some have an antianxierty agent but thats for cronic anxierty not social ,an they dont kick in for months. for social anxierty or extreme shyness as it was called 10 years ago.Treatments are A COUPLE OF BEERS , HIGHLY ADDICTIVE BENZOS, OR JUST AVOID STREES. 9O % of people have social anxierty an cope the best they can on SFA . Now cronic anxierty is followed by depression , now you are in trouble an need ADS, your mind goes awol , you get the under the blanket syndrome where you carnt leave your bed. you are unable to work ,go to shcool even foget to eat .You may even need to be in the mental hospital to monitor your mood, every bone in your body aches an tears flow like rain for no reason. Your face will tell the story as you age over night an you wont be able to hide you illness .If this is your illness by all means hit the ADs if not just get on with life. Better still go to the mental hospital an look at mental ill people its another world , an a scary sight :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Man, you guys need to learn that not everybody with social anxiety lives like this... It's a spectrum. Some people have slight social anxiety. Some have moderate. And finally, this guy gives a good description of the extreme case.

We're not all falling to our knees with panic. And just because you have social anxiety, that doesn't mean your life has to suck. Yes, it CAN BE devastating. But it doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I feel most of the time people just make themselves out to be a victim when in reality they need to help themselves first before anyone else can help them. What happen 75 years ago when there were no meds for with mental disorders? What did they do? Obviously, they treated it in other ways. :afr

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I feel most of the time people just make themselves out to be a victim when in reality they need to help themselves first before anyone else can help them. What happen 75 years ago when there were no meds for with mental disorders? What did they do? Obviously, they treated it in other ways. :afr
I agree. That is something a lot of people here seem to be not willing to do. You can't just pop a pill, sit at home and expect to make much progress.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
I agree that Anti-Depressants should be mainly used for Major Depression. Social Anxiety can be treated in other ways, such as anti-anxiety medication combined with therapy. I also believe that mild-moderate depression doesn't require medication, but therapy is better suited, especially if the Depression was caused by environmental factors, such as death of a loved one.

Personally - I'm on three medications, an anti-depressant, anti-psychotic & mood stabilizer. But I'm a pretty severe case of Depression, Dissociation & Psychotic features.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I agree. That is something a lot of people here seem to be not willing to do. You can't just pop a pill, sit at home and expect to make much progress.
BAM, exactly.

The biggest problem I have with people who have social anxiety is that they (sometimes) sit at home and play the victim. Any problems they have are just pushed off on their anxiety.

I mean, my anxiety is bad... but come on... I'm realistic about it.

At the same time, I do understand that there are cases of severe anxiety. I get it. And yes, if you have panic attacks standing in public, alright... but not everybody can say that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they put you in an asylum. Jesus man think on , there used to be thousands now just a handfull of asylums, as people are treated with meds in the community :roll

·
Registered
55 Posts
BAM, exactly.

The biggest problem I have with people who have social anxiety is that they (sometimes) sit at home and play the victim. Any problems they have are just pushed off on their anxiety.
I agree and disagree with this. Sometimes I feel like I do this. It is easy and comforting to place blame elsewhere other than yourself. I know I'm not perfect and that I have made mistakes. At the same time I do feel victimized, not by the world or people, but my social anxiety. To me it has clearly made my life worse and from my view that is all it takes to be a victim.

The important thing is, like with everything else in life, not to let your problems keep you from doing the things you want and need to do. You can't give up on life. For me getting medication was a big step. I'm trying something else for the first time in my life. I don't see using medication as a way to hide from my anxiety I see it as a way to face my anxiety head on. I'm doing something about it. What I can't do is pop a pill and hope it solves all my problems. I have to help myself too.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
What did they do? Obviously, they treated it in other ways
More like they just suffered, lived a life withdrawn from everyone, died alone in their house if they had no one to care for them and didn't have the energy to do it themselves (communities were closer for reasons like this), or committed suicide and were found later. Depression and suicide are not a new idea. Sometimes prior to meds or at the start of them if you were found to be mentally unstable you got locked up and experimented on or outcast from the community as a potential danger to children and if you died then oh well. Our understanding has improved and our ability to treat with meds has kept many people from just living a miserable life where they do nothing they find any joy in and just survive or kill themselves.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I can't see how any pills is. Going to help with a phobia let alone social phobia

·
Registered
808 Posts
Exposure + benzos made my social anxiety about 75% gone. I don't really need to take benzos anymore. Fluoxetine barely did crap. SSRIs suck *** in general, but they're worth a try. I'd say I still have social anhedonia though, I have to associate social reward with interacting with people somehow and I haven't gotten into that mindset yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
150 years ago they didn't have antibiotics. What people did?
Nothing, people died from dysentery and syphilis.

From what I know some antidepressants like the TCA's really don't do much for social anxiety, others like SSRIs can be effective.
Also there are tons of grades of SA, not everybody is scared to leave home and have panic attacks.
I had troubles mainly talking in public, with people i didn't know and from the opposite sex.

But yes, only popping the pill isn't enough, it will fight the symptoms, it will make you more relaxed, but you still need to go out there and face your fears. That's what I did and it worked. But no way I could have done it alone without Paxil.

·
Registered
481 Posts
150 years ago they didn't have antibiotics. What people did?
Nothing, people died from dysentery and syphilis.

From what I know some antidepressants like the TCA's really don't do much for social anxiety, others like SSRIs can be effective.
Also there are tons of grades of SA, not everybody is scared to leave home and have panic attacks.
I had troubles mainly talking in public, with people i didn't know and from the opposite sex.

But yes, only popping the pill isn't enough, it will fight the symptoms, it will make you more relaxed, but you still need to go out there and face your fears. That's what I did and it worked. But no way I could have done it alone without Paxil.
Now as I think of it they did do something over 75 years ago but it wasn't with medication it was with extreme experiments such as lobotomy. Remember these types of experiments were once a part of psychiatry. For me popping a pill was not and never will be the answer; it's find the underlying problem and working towards a solution. Remember nothing in life comes easy you must work at it. Exercise and dieting works really well. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
On and acute ward, a PICU and low, medium and high security wards, people are too ill to get therapy so all they can do is sit around and wait for meds to kick in, so technically this works. I'm on an SSRI to treat my social anxiety alongside my depression and a few more people I know are so AD's are used to treat social anxiety.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
SSRI's are thought to have an inhibiting effect on the amygdala (the brains fear center). In addition paxil also has some parasympathetic-nervous system blocking effects which might help since the parasympathetic nervous system and amygdala are often over-active in anxiety disorders, so this is probably the logic for why they are FDA approved/ commonly used to treat SA.

But yeah they usually take 4+ weeks for anti-anxiety effects to kick in, and they certainly don't always help with SA (about 35% success rate if a remember correctly).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now as I think of it they did do something over 75 years ago but it wasn't with medication it was with extreme experiments such as lobotomy. Remember these types of experiments were once a part of psychiatry. For me popping a pill was not and never will be the answer; it's find the underlying problem and working towards a solution. Remember nothing in life comes easy you must work at it. Exercise and dieting works really well. :)
yes but quietboy99 you have never been mentally ill , you have had a set back , but you havent been really mentally ill, or been in mental hospital . You compair to a guy with a head cold,not to a guy with cancer as illness,es go. Lets not take meds lets have a lobotomy that will cure all of us really ill:eek: They had no drugs ,so to make you stop smashing your head against the wall they took half your brain out. They could not have a hospital with no meds, an people screaming an shouting all day , so they nuked you. :yes

·
Registered
481 Posts
yes but quietboy99 you have never been mentally ill , you have had a set back , but you havent been really mentally ill, or been in mental hospital . You compair to a guy with a head cold,not to a guy with cancer as illness,es go. Lets not take meds lets have a lobotomy that will cure all of us really ill:eek: They had no drugs ,so to make you stop smashing your head against the wall they took half your brain out. They could not have a hospital with no meds, an people screaming an shouting all day , so they nuked you. :yes
How do you know that I have never been mentally ill? This is going to lead to the question of what medical test have you ran on me to prove this? The answer is none. Maybe you can call it an illness but definitely not a disease; diabetes, cancer, aids/hiv is a disease where it is measurable scientifically. Lobotomy wasn't safe that's why it was banned in return big pharma develop drugs to do almost the same thing as the effects of lobotomy. That's what med does makes your nearly brain dead almost zombie like that's why you hear about people's stories on this forum about that. Since you brought up curing people; how many people have been cured with drugs? How many psychiatrist/doctors that you know of have cured their patients? You probably won't answer it. Do you get my point? :eek:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do you know that I have never been mentally ill? This is going to lead to the question of what medical test have you ran on me to prove this? The answer is none. Maybe you can call it an illness but definitely not a disease; diabetes, cancer, aids/hiv is a disease where it is measurable scientifically. Lobotomy wasn't safe that's why it was banned in return big pharma develop drugs to do almost the same thing as the effects of lobotomy. That's what med does makes your nearly brain dead almost zombie like that's why you hear about people's stories on this forum about that. Since you brought up curing people; how many people have been cured with drugs? How many psychiatrist/doctors that you know of have cured their patients? You probably won't answer it. Do you get my point? :eek:
wtf do you keep posting that dumb vidio,i think everyone on the planet must have seen it now. There wouldnt be any doctors or phychiatrist if they didnt cure people or help people. I know many who have taken meds an dont need to now. I still go to mental hospital every 6 months for med an health updates an see people who were in the same time has me, comming for there check up . These are suicide atempt, an clinical depressives, bipolar, schizophrenic,s still on there meds but leading a life they never had , talking without any anxierty or problem , people who without the shrink an meds would long dead. What would a schizophrenic do without meds, i will tell you ,they would be locked in a ward all day. Now they hold down job,s so long as they take there meds on time. Now tell me when were you in hospital an what the illness that you never had. An why you went on meds an developed a deep phobia against them. Y our med hatred to every thread posted is putting people with real problem,s life on the line. Think about it as you tuck yourself in bed, you may have answered a post of med hate to someone who hasnt slept for days an is on the edge, the last thing they want is to hear is you telling them they have no hope with there doctor or shrink.:roll

·
Registered
481 Posts
Listen.........

wtf do you keep posting that dumb vidio,i think everyone on the planet must have seen it now. There wouldnt be any doctors or phychiatrist if they didnt cure people or help people. I know many who have taken meds an dont need to now. I still go to mental hospital every 6 months for med an health updates an see people who were in the same time has me, comming for there check up . These are suicide atempt, an clinical depressives, bipolar, schizophrenic,s still on there meds but leading a life they never had , talking without any anxierty or problem , people who without the shrink an meds would long dead. What would a schizophrenic do without meds, i will tell you ,they would be locked in a ward all day. Now they hold down job,s so long as they take there meds on time. Now tell me when were you in hospital an what the illness that you never had. An why you went on meds an developed a deep phobia against them. Y our med hatred to every thread posted is putting people with real problem,s life on the line. Think about it as you tuck yourself in bed, you may have answered a post of med hate to someone who hasnt slept for days an is on the edge, the last thing they want is to hear is you telling them they have no hope with there doctor or shrink.:roll
Excuse me but psychiatrist/doctors and those drugs have never cured anyone they only if at best mask the symptoms. Please stop posting misinformation that someone maybe reading and get excited about. Psychiatrist only treat symptoms not cure; I used to see a psychiatrist and they didn't cure me of anything. I would like to see your scientific proof that they have cured anybody. Please be more assertive in your post. Just because someone has stopped a certain medication that doesn't mean they are cured. Please proofread your post otherwise I will not respond to yours anymore. I answer with my views and facts so please don't attack me attack the facts.

Again your putting out misinformatiion; someone who is schizophrenic would be long dead if they didn't take meds? Show me some statistics on that. I have relatives who are "mentally ill" for most of their lives; you tell me your doctors name so they can cure them. Son there is no cure; do you understand? if you don't than your a lost cause. I'm simply putting out the truth but you don't want to hear it. Good luck in your life. :yes

1 - 20 of 57 Posts