Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who met me would tell you I'm a very weird person, sometimes this is actually a good thing, but sometimes it frustrates me to no end because I don't quite know why.

Everyone seems to get the vibe I'm socially awkward and mildly introverted, yet people get surprised if I tell them I'm shy, which I would naturally assume is why they would get that vibe. So I'm not perceived as shy, which means I don't have shy body language, but im still awkward somehow?

I used to get bullied mildly by the popular kids and I'd always let them know that I know what they're doing. I think the bluntness sort of stopped it. But I don't really know why I was bullied. I was very quiet. I usually am quiet until someone approaches me because I literally don't know how to start a conversation, or when it's appropriate to approach someone, so I usually don't unless I know them well or we are in the break room together or something.

I've been practicing at parties and meetups approaching random groups and joining conversations. But I still must give off some weird lack of confidence which I kind of do have because I don't know how to read people or situations like at all. I can't stand when people tell me they think I lack confidence to my face, like I'm socially unaware but they don't realize how unaware they are themselves to just say that. Though I appreciate the honesty. On the bright side around people I'm comfy with, it gives me a unique bluntness that my friends appreciate.

I'm forgiven for a lot of this for the fact that I'm a cute girl. I know a guy who's exactly like this but comes across as more confident, like he just makes these weird comments gets percieved somewhat similarly, and he gets **** on by some people we know for being weird, though he's friends appreciate him so maybe I wouldn't be totally screwed. Before me he had a lot of failures with the opposite gender. It kills me a little bit that if not for my cute appearance and gender, I might be not as well off but that is life. What is it about someone's body language that would give off that awkward or weird vibe? Sometimes I actually love how I am, but other times I think it drives people away and certainly holds me back professionally. I asked my mom and the only thing she said was that I make all these weird comments like I have no filter

·
Registered
17,860 Posts
I don't why I always assume someone is a guy on here until they say otherwise - that's weird.

Anyway - you have in the title of the thread that you suspect you might be on the spectrum? Maybe that has something to do with it? Not that I know a lot about that mind you - it's just an idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't why I always assume someone is a guy on here until they say otherwise - that's weird.

Anyway - you have in the title of the thread that you suspect you might be on the spectrum? Maybe that has something to do with it? Not that I know a lot about that mind you - it's just an idea.

Probably cause girls are more forgiven for this behavior and reach out to people more. I don't like reaching out to people I actually know for help besides my mom. Everyone thinks I act like I am on the spectrum except my roommate. It's so frustrating knowing I'm different and not being able to tell what I'm doing wrong

·
Registered
17,860 Posts
Probably cause girls are more forgiven for this behavior and reach out to people more. I don't like reaching out to people I actually know for help besides my mom. Everyone thinks I act like I am on the spectrum except my roommate. It's so frustrating knowing I'm different and not being able to tell what I'm doing wrong
Have you ever asked a psychologist about the autism/asperger's thing? I remember someone had a thread about that recently but I can't remember if it was you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ever asked a psychologist about the autism/asperger's thing? I remember someone had a thread about that recently but I can't remember if it was you.
No but I really need to. According to the AQ I meet the official diagnostic criteria but I really don't know how "official" and internet test can be

1 - 5 of 5 Posts