Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if you are becoming dependant on klonopins? I been taking as needed for about a year now and not much at first only at night. now i take during the day half mg and a half mg at night unless i have a drink. i take it at least 4 times a week. its the only thing that has ever worked for me and it mellows me out without clouding my head. i feel better not high just not as anxious. how do you know if you are becoming adicted to klonopins?

·
Here and Now
1,189 Posts
I assume you'd know if you were dependent if you had withdrawals whenever the drug is not in your system. Although you could be mentally addicted to them without having withdrawals, but addiction and dependence are different. And "at least four times a week" is kind of alot for PRN use...i've always thought PRN was 2-3 times a week or less

·
Registered
727 Posts
how old are you and where do you live, just curious because you can get them prescribed often :( all i get is a small amount and it has to last me a long, long time. mainly because of my age.

its hard to tell but try taking a break from them and see how you feel, how often a week do you take them::?

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Two warning signs leading toward possible addiction and the increase in tolerance include:
1) A steady upward dosing of the med when using it as prn. So instead of .5mg a day. You increase to 1mg a day because you feel the effects and want to naturally in crease doage.
2) You start taking it more often. That is instead of 3 times a week, now 4-5.

Theses signs indicate that you may have tolerance issues and that you may want to feel the original "high" that comes from initially taking benzos. That high will subside as your brain adapts to the medication. And it will adapt far more quickly; the more you up the amount and how often used. The reason people that use it prn at low doses for years with success is because they only use the med. strictly prn. And in that case the brain never completely binds most of the GABAa receptors. Therefore leaving the drug as a very useful therapy for years as downrugulation of the GABA receptor cites has not taken place. Compared to an everyday user of weeks, months and yrs.

Thats why benzos are usually only recommended daily for a short period of time until other meds. or combos take effect. Or used prn. for those who do not have an addictive personality factor or steady tolerance increase.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have taken it more lately but am gonna make a effort to not take it for a few days to see how i feel. i know some ppl say klonopins are bad but its the only med thats worked for me. i just dont want to get hooked on it. thanx for your answer metamorphosis im gonna keep better track of how often i take it and when, what i am feeling. gotta be responsible.

·
Registered
552 Posts
dont take any for a week and a half. If by day 7 your still sleeping like a baby every night you are not dependent. If you have chronic insomnia, then it has unmasked your dependency. Same applies for increased anxiety, ect.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have been taking klonopin and i can tell you it's not addicting, i was prescribed it to be taken before bedtime, the problem is i won't go to bed til about 2:30-3:00 then i would take it but i would be up all night because of anxiety and being all hyped up from work plus caffeine didn't help, it's almost like i want to hold on to the day, taking the pill right when i get home from work would knock me out and i wouldn't be able to go on the computer and make something to eat, some twisted thinking but thats my life in a nutshell.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have been on a .50MG-1MG a week regime for a few months now. As long you regulate and be honest with your body, you should be fine. I will say that my body's initial reaction to BENZOs was so welcoming. That first tablet made everything so relaxed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts