Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I've become addicted to drama online.

Drama as in intense moods, battles of opinions, battles for acceptence, interest in other people's secrets and behind the scenes dealings, "online" histories and happenings...

I guess I go to forums that mainly perpetuate it... even though it usually goes against my morals in the long run, annoys the heck out of me... but I guess it gives me adrenaline or something?

But there is so much wrong with it. It almost always amounts to a sort of "virtual warfare" and makes a lot of people glum and cruel, even depressed, but I guess everyone gets a sort of rush off it too. If you read stuff about online addiction this whole thing is mentioned sometimes, and it seems quite common. I mean I suppose all it takes is one person sowing the seeds, getting people into it, to get a whole community addicted to a bad attitude... although it needs poor moderation too of course.

I'm gonna try to stop this, I don't like what it does to my life, my personality. It has certainly lowered me several notches from being a good person. I guess I'll have to try to think before I post on other boards, not respond to people who are starting it, and not go looking for that feeling of intensity. I think it's the major thing behind my online addiction, and that isn't helping my life either.

Just had to vent, maybe no one at all can relate, but I have nowhere else to post this. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hate conflict and yet love a good debate or discussion. Drama is a bit much for me to handle - I don't want a bunch of emotional junk just the facts please. If your addicted to it, it may be because you feel not enough is going on in your life? Heh if it is something that you can't seem to keep away from, how about volunteering for a crisis support line or at the salvation army. You'll find plenty of it to last you a while while doing something that WILL make you feel good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You're definitely alone. Just look at how popular reality television is these days. Those shows are made to create conflict between people. So taking pleasure in watching people bicker on the internet is no different than taking pleasure in watching some good ole' reality TV.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Whew! I didn't understand what was meant by "drama on the Internet" until I read your post. I watch shows like The Real World just to see how stupid their lives are on television. That is only reality show I watch, and I haven't seen any of the new shows. Too much sex and crap to make me feel bad. Other than that, I don't watch "reality" TV.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Soma. I can't stand watching that baloney. It just points out to me that whenever you get a group of people together, they never get along.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I've stopped posting on the interet a lot, and I stay away from LiveJournal and other stuff almost completely. I hate drama in real life, the internet, TV. I also find it really perplexing that people take internet communication so seriously. I guess it's because I'm not that serious of a person, or at least not as much as I was in the past. The internet, to me, is just there to kill time and keep my mind away from negative thoughts that come when I'm bored. It's really funny how all these boards I've gone on have these flame wars, and then slowly but surely, everyone joins in, even people that you'd least expect to... and then there is the silent people like me who will say "who friggin' cares", but no one pays attention because the drama is addicting or something. I am not really good at debate and have little interest in it. In real life, when people get all emotional and dramatic, I am usually really calm unless it involves me, which it never does. I keep things to myself. Maybe I don't value my opinion that much, I'm not sure. I just hate drama and steer away from it. I find reality TV to be the most sickening picture of our society at the moment, and the fact that so many people watch it, people who I normally wouldn't think to watch stuff like that, to be disturbing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Reading some of the pages on Myspace and such is kinda sad. There are all these drama queens out there that think they are so amazing. They advertise their disfunction, their rebellion, their 'uniqueness'....yet their very numbers betray the fact that they are not unique at all.

It's one thing to want to pursue your interests regardless of what others think. It's another to paint yourself in bizarre colors just to get attention and be a star in your own mind.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I guess it's hard to understand. But you go to a messageboard about a hobby you really relate well to... get used to it, then eventually people get bored, spend too much time on it and start flaming more then anythign. It's really annoying, but I guess it gives me a feeling of something to do, seeing what will be said next. And it's certainly not everywhere... you've got to end up in some barely moderated hole on the net... which I seem to. :lol

phew, ya pathetic. I think I'm going to swear off any board that isn't heavily moderated, and I should really swear off boards altogether

1 - 8 of 8 Posts