Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have been taking adderral for 3 months. But i also started taking propecia for hairloss 3 months ago as well. Since then i have had a real low sex drive and have had no desire at all. I couldnt even get an erection. So i suspected it to be the propecia. So i stopped that and was off it for a good month. Still had problems. So i stopped adderral and it has been a week now and i am having a better sex drive. Has anyone who has taken adderrall experienced any sexual sides? thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is a pretty common side effect. Adderall is a vasoconstrictor which means it causes blood to be drawn away from the 'ahem', extremeties, towards the heart which often results in ED. Thats why you often hear complaints about it causing 'shrinkage'. It decreases the size of a flacid penis due to less blood flow goin on down there (its not a permanent effect or anything silly like that). I don't know but I would guess less blood flow means less general stimulation and therefore less sexual 'interest'. Probably much, much more significant: adderall lowers testosterone levels which is the primary determinant of erections and libido levels in men.

I have been on adderall for a long time and it absolutely nukes my sex drive. It increases my sexual confidence (and confidence in general, being an amphetamine) but reduces my drive. I stay on it because it helps my social phobia so much.

Ironically, I just started propecia two days ago and I have noticed a much increased sex drive. I believe this is due to the fact that propecia increases levels of free floating testosterone by preventing its conversion to DHT.

This effect has led to a lot of interest and research about how testosterone levels effect depression because I have been feeling a lot less depressed since starting propecia, albeit more aggressive as well. The increased sexual interest I have felt since starting propecia feels exactly like the increased interest I feel while off adderall. This is a very strong indication to me that resulting decreased testosterone levels are why adderall kills my sex drive.

I would definitely point the finger at adderall for being responsible for your reduced libido. As soon as my adderall wears off my sex drive starts going up very quickly, whether I am on 40 mg of lexapro at the time or not.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm really beginning to notice how the increased testosterone levels are affecting my aggression. I have always been a pretty aggressive person (although I have always felt extremely guilty, embararrased and ashamed by my strong tendency towards aggression) and one of the reasons I have always liked adderall is that it helps me calm down (anger wise). I never really understood why considering it pumps you up so much in so many other senses. Now however, its quite clear to me that it does this mainly by lowering my testosterone levels, I have felt the exact opposite effects in the libido and aggression departments since starting propecia, which raises testosterone levels.

·
Registered
609 Posts
^^im the same way, amphetamines/stimulants give me energy/confidence but at the same time they actually help me restrain my anger...they are calming in a strange way, more focus perhaps i dunno..

yep, adderall makes mr pete shrivel up to nothing but that isnt to say you cant perform, it just takes longer and more focus..lol...in fact stims increase my sex drive, maybe its due to the increased confidence/energy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts