Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just wanted to say that I recently got a new script for Adderall and I forgot how helpful it is to stopping the negative thoughts and helping to create productive and positive thoughts.

I switched to ritalin because it is a lot more mild and I was not taking care of myself before on Adderall. If you take care of yourself and take the right supplements you don't really have to worry about this though.

I recommend if you can to try Adderall out, it is really the only thing that helps me control my negative thoughts. And lessens SA symptoms, just try not to use any other stimulants with it or you can get anxiety. When I first used adderall I was smoking and drinking mountain dew left and right. So I had to take a drug holiday and get off to re-evaluate my physical lifestyle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I probably wouldn't recommend Adderall. Even though it can do all the things you said and probably more, it isn't a good long term solution, in my opinion. Tolerance develops and anxiety can get worse over time. It can be a good solution after many other safer alternatives have been tried, but should not be what you settle for lightly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
^
I've said that many times on here and always get a beat down for saying it. Glad someone else has the same opinion.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Unless you have a plan to beat tolerance, Adderall isn't worth it unless taken very, very occasionally. You really do not want to screw up your ability to feel pleasure permanently, trust someone who has. Also, Adderall will deplete dopamine in the short-term resulting in up/down/up/down and a life built around amphetamines.

Selegiline, magnesium, memantine, atomoxetine, zinc, tyrosine -- drugs/supplements like these can [potentially] be used in a certain way to get around the shortcomings of drugs like Adderall, but unless you are very knowledgeable and/or under supervision of a psychiatrist, playing with fire is very likely to burn you and leave permanent scars.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah from what I've been reading (even for people with ADD/ADHD) sometimes taking it on an on/off basis is better than all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the key to adderall use, or any medication that affects neurotransmitters is balance. too much serotonin affects dopamine(reduces it), too much dopamine affects serotonin(reduces it). I've experienced both circumstances and neither are what you want. too much serotonin and your a sedated zombie, too much dopamine and you become a nervous wreck. neurotransmitter imbalance is what leads to medications. figuring out the correct mix for you is sometimes a long a difficult journey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts