Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a true scientific case study, but it is meant to solidify some of my findings of adderall use for treatment of SA.

First a history. I have used many SSRIs in the past to no avail. I considered trying Nardil given the good reviews I've heard but wound up going another approach instead. I have been prescribed both benzos and adderall as well as my daily SSRI.

Here are some of my experiences while on the SSRI (which gives me no effect alone) and then taking adderall:

-First experience 20mg adderall -> noticed strongly increased sociability, not a messy drunken socialability but a truely skilled conversationalist who had no problem leading conversations and being the center of attention (total opposite of my normal self).

-Later, 2mg clonazepam + 40mg adderall (45 min after) + 20 mg adderall (15 min after that) -> noticed that social anxiety was completely eradicated, in fact my behavior was that of a truly outgoing person. I was very intent and interested in all conversations and had no fears whatsoever. Instead, I had a strong desire, practically a yearning, to talk to everyone that I could. Again, this was not a sloppy drunkeness, but a witty intelligent and funny self and I had no problem being assertive and really engaging people into conversation.

These are roughly the two extremes that I have experienced. I have done these many times over the past few months no more than twice per week to avoid tolerance. Lately I have slipped to once per week to ensure that no tolerance is building up (although I can't be entirely sure about that at this point).

For about the past month I have been off of my SSRI since I had felt it was no longer necessary. However, around this time I have felt a slightly diminished effect of the adderall/benzo combo. My theory is that the SSRI may actually be boosting the serotinergic effects of the adderall and giving me some extra "kick" so to say. For this reason I have just started back onto the SSRI and will see if this theory turns out to be true.

I am still trying to find the right doses and maximum allowable times for using this combo per week. This is why it is such a slow task because I have been waiting relatively long periods of times between doses so that tolerance drops back to baseline. Any questions, I'd be glad to answer.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You should consider taking magnesium glycinate ~500mg / day to reduce tolerance, then you could take your great combo more often.

I think the combination of a benzo with a strong stimulant (+ eventually a good SSRI like Lexapro/Zoloft) is one of the best combos for even severe treatment resistant social phobia.

·
Registered
171 Posts
so would selegiline be just as good as adderal?

I strongly doubt that my doc would perscribe me an addictive substance like a dopamine releasing agent.
I wish i could get it though!
But i take it that dopamine increase is the best treatment for SA??

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
so would selegiline be just as good as adderal?

I strongly doubt that my doc would perscribe me an addictive substance like a dopamine releasing agent.
I wish i could get it though!
But i take it that dopamine increase is the best treatment for SA??
Selegiline won't be as effective as Adderall. It's not just about increasing dopamine levels, but the way you do it. A releasing agent produces other effects than eg. a dopamine precursor / agonist, DA reuptake or MAO-B inhibitor, amisulpride...

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think it's not as good as Adderall, but a Ritalin + Benzo combo (as needed) is quite effective for social phobia IMHO.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
You should consider taking magnesium glycinate ~500mg / day to reduce tolerance, then you could take your great combo more often.

I think the combination of a benzo with a strong stimulant (+ eventually a good SSRI like Lexapro/Zoloft) is one of the best combos for even severe treatment resistant social phobia.
How does Mg reduce development of tolerance?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
By acting as an NMDA-modulator.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
NMDA antagonism does seem to reverse opiate tolerance and Mg is an NMDA antagonist. Another question, does taking extra Mg actually result in higher levels in the body? I imagine there is some sort of mechanism to keep it in balance, perhaps the kidneys would remove excess of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts