Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been prescribed adderall by my doctor for my add (first time i ever go to a doctor for this) I have mild anxiety but adderall seems to make it a LOT worse, i have taken vyvanse before but my doctor doesn't know this, vyvanse was so much better to me. my question is pretty straightforward, can I just go to my doctor next time i see him and ask him to prescribe me vyvanse? i cant tell him ive taken it before... he did tell me if i didnt like adderall he could change the med for me but im afraid simply asking him for vyvanse would make me seem like a junkie.

why was vyvanse a better experience for me than adderall? isn't it the same medicine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes

Your doctor wants you to tell him. Vyvanse was most likely better for you because it is what is called a prodrug. These do not activate into your body immediately. They must be processed by specific stomach acids first to be activated into the amphetamine. Which is very gradual and better for people with anxiety, whereas Adderall is not a pro drug. It contains pure amphetamine salts which are almost immediately put into effect when you take them. Another reason you may not respond as well is Adderall contains d-amps and l-amps, which often cause different result compared to vyvanse which only contains d-amps....Youz Welcome!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not sure. Maybe cause Vyvanse was smoother to you due to the extended release (assuming you're talking about addy IR). Just tell them what happened with the adderall increasing your anxiety, pretty sure he'll mention other meds such as vyvanse. I believe most docs like vyvanse and other extended release meds if you have to take a stimulant.

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
I think cause Adderall is short acting and Vyvanse lasts longer? It probably does the same thing both stimulants but they may have different ways it works for people. Adderall worked great for me, I hated Vyvanse. But everyone is different.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
Honestly if you've been on it before legitimately there should be no worry at all. Just say "you know Adderall just isn't working for me, I've been on Vynanse before and it didn't have these effects, could I switch to it?". If your doctor refuses that you need to see a different doctor.

They are both controlled substances so I don't see a problem there. Adderall gets abused CONSTANTLY too so if that was a concern you wouldn't be on it.

Edit: For some reason I completely skimmed over "I can't tell him". I have no advice then! Haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts