Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an ADD diagnosis, then a social anxiety diagnosis, and then switch from ADD meds to an SSRI? And quit the ADD meds?

Did you find just the SSRI alone made more sense as a "treatment" then the ADD meds?

I ask since I've spent years on Dexedrine, and am finding the transition to just an SSRI difficult.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
ADD and SA together are a hard combo to treat as the meds kinda work against each other. I dont see how an SSRI is going to help with ADD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus Christ you take a lot of drugs.

Since taking SSRIs I wonder if there's even such a thing as ADD, like if the lack of serotonin and therefore a lack of enjoyment out of regular life causes the lack of caring about not slacking off -- and not the lack of kicking yourself in the *** with stimulants. Just something I've been wondering

·
Banned
113 Posts
I believe I have ADHD (I've never been diagnosed with it though), but I believe it is not a big issue for me and it doesn't control my life like SA does so I don't find it necessary to seek treatment for it. In the end I actually believe that ADHD has more positives to it than negatives IMO.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ADHD meds combined with anxyolitic meds is very paradoxical in that ADHD meds are stimulants and anxyolitic meds are downers. So, the two meds are basically fighting against each other. The result? I'm not quite sure. There aren't that many people on here who have access to both amphetamines and benzos, and the one person who does (Korey), I believe takes the Ritalin as an antidepressant supplement, not as an ADHD medication. As for antidepressants rx'ed for ADHD, I only know of one and that is Wellbutrin and it's not an SSRI. However, I supose an SSRI could somehow aid since ADHD is impacted by low serotonin levels, so an SSRI could definitely have potential to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have ADD and have previously tried a bunch of SSRI's and none of them helped me a stitch ADD-wise.

There aren't that many people on here who have access to both amphetamines and benzos,
I do. But I do not take the benzos because even at a very very low dose they made me feel spaced out and kind of depressed. I might try another benzo though, I don' t know.

I find that dexedrine helps with the anxiety. Obviously not enough as i'm totally immobilized by it but god knows what I'd be like with out the dex. But that is just me. I know if I went off the dex the SSRI's would not be enough to help with the ADD, which would make the anxiety even worse. (if that is possible :fall)

As for SSRI's for the anxiety...which SSRI are you taking? I've been thinking to try this again too but I had so many bad side effects when I took them previously or else they didn't help at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**** sprite, maybe you don't need any drugs at all?? You sound smart enough, if none of these drugs help (dexedrine immobilizes you?? elaborate, personally it does make me catatonic with social anxiety at home)

I'm taking Celexa. I wasn't keen for the first few weeks but I'm starting to see the effects. It's helped many a stitch with "ADD" actually, its a tremendously postive neurotransmitter I'm finding. I can pay MUCH MUCH MUCH better attention to things like conversations, movies, tv shows, its impossible not to follow things which is a feeling I could only previously remember from like grade 6 and its tremendous to have back again. if you axe me I'd say add is nothing but severe depression coupled with high intelligence and a severe straying from a normal human existance. I've had tremendously positive sex side effects from Celexa as a personal aside. Noticing titties WAY more these days

·
Registered
9 Posts
OOPS so sorry I didn't write that very clearly. I meant to say that the anxiety immobilizes me.

It's great that this drug is working for you though. I do think some people with ADD have similar experiences. Is it helping at all with the anxiety?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Re: re: ADD --> social anxiety --> No ADD?

sprite said:
As for SSRI's for the anxiety...which SSRI are you taking?
I don't take any, but most SSRIs have secondary uses for anxiety. The most popular ones are Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac and Luvox. Zoloft and Paxil (SSRIs) and Effexor (SNRI) are approved for social anxiety.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have ADHD and GAD. I take Xanax XR and Ritalin LA.

ADHD is a severe form of depression? I and many other medical researchers and practitioners would disagree with that statement.

ADHD doesn't mean one has a lack of motivation. There are many highly motivated and successful people with the disorder. It doesn't mean that one doesn't not attempt or complete any tasks. They may just have a different way of organizing and staying focused, which isn't to say they lack focus. I am a very focused person. However, tend to jump around and multi-task.

·
Banned
113 Posts
[Removed]

·
Registered
521 Posts
lostwitness said:
@#%$, who wants to get over ADHD, it's the coolest disorder on the planet.
I am not a moderator, but I'm asking you to refrain from comments which may be offensive to others.

ADHD is a widely recognized condition. It's been recognized since the early 20th century (with various names).

It's possible that you don't believe in it or think it's a minor condition and over-diagnosed due to your own experience and media coverage (You stated that you think you have mild ADHD but that it helps you, rather that hindering your life. For some people with ADHD, at any point on the spectrum, their life is greatly hindered).

Recent studies have indicated that ADHD in fact is under-diagnosed. This is especially true in adults and females with inattentive ADHD. The disorder can be "hidden" by a high IQ, great structure in life, and high acheivements. (I'll point out that there are doctors and lawyers who have the condition. I've read stories of some who didn't realize they had a problem until in professional education or after graduation.)

Yes, some people are inappropriately diagnosed, but that's the case with any disease or disorder.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The only thing that makes sense about SSRIs removing ADD is being misdiagnosed. If we're taking about inattentive ADD, then being anxious could easily be misdiagnosed for it given that ADD is diagnosed clinically instead of quantitively.

I don't know what is cool about ADD :| this is the diagnosis formerly known as 'minimal brain damage' from the 60's.

·
Registered
521 Posts
One thought to consider:

Those with ADHD often have comorbidities. I believe GAD is the most prevelant, followed closely by depression.

If you add an SSRI and reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression, that's likely to allow for better concentration. That's not to say that those who have improved concentration with SSRI's don't have ADHD, it just means that they are lessening the detrimental symptoms of other disorders.

I have ADHD, but sometimes I needed to take Xanax when my anxiety was near panic levels, in order to study and slow the racing/anxious thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts