Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some classmates were complaining last week about me not having a facebook. I had told them several times that i had one 2 years ago and that i thought it sucked. Well this day i finally activated my account and i immeaditily started getting nervous. My heart was racing, i was sweating from my armpits, i was blushing and shaking and i had no clue why. I started chatting with an old pal that i haven't seen in years but that i have had contact with through facebook. It was pretty fun but i was still shaking so i decided to go out for a walk in my big *** garden. I went out in my pyjamas and it was freezing but i didnt really notice since i was nervous as hell and already shaking. The neighbours must've thought that i was sleep walking lol. But i calmed down and i realized that i was probably nervous because Facebook is a social network and it reminds me of my lack of social life. I wanted to delete my account but that would feel like a defeat for me and a win for my SA so i decided to keep it and i felt much calmer. I don't think i really have anything to gain from facebook but im hopefully not going to log in everyday. I'm sticking around and checking the place out first and if i don't like it i can always delete my account. I felt that this was a triumph because i freaked out at first but had a little talk with myself and made myself realize that this was nothing to freak out over. God damn this must be the longest post i have ever written on any website and iv'e been using the internet regularly for 6 years. :teeth

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I think that's a good step. I have a facebook but don't really use it and if people ask me for it and I say that I think it sounds quite negative. If your classmates were encouraging you to join I think that shows they like you and by joining you're showing an interest in them. I think maybe I should make more use of mine, I have old friends on it that I actually miss but I've been too nervous to talk to them. It's great that you managed to! And yeah it's online but it's still the same human being on the other computer, it can still be very nerve wracking. It's good you talked yourself into it despite your nerves, regardless of whether you keep it or not, you didn't let your anxiety stop you from taking that step.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for those kind words. They mean a lot to me. You should definitely talk to your old friends thats what i did. I thought it would be awkward to start the conversation with a greeting so i just typed random numbers/letters like this st3tq2 and it worked. I had 2 long conversation with an old friend and an old classmate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts