Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Got dealt a crappy hand
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am seeking the advice of those who have some experience or knowledge of Acceptance and Commitment therapy (ACT). Without going into all its details which can take up volumes (see books written by S. Hayes 1999, 2005, 2011), the motto of ACT can be summarized as such: "Embrace your demons and follow your values". I know what my demons are (anxiety, worry, doubts, depression, social phobia etc...) but I am trying to define my values. It's not an easy task to determine one's values. After reflection, as a top value I came up with this: "Of the billions of humans who have inhabited the earth, a few have significantly influenced the course of history. Let your actions be directed towards that end - to become a person who will influence the course of history". But the thing is, I don't know where to start, what my actions should be; it's a very ambitious value (or is it simply a goal?) I don't need to commit to an outcome (I may never reach it - never be able to actually make such a big difference) but I want to commit to at least taking the adequate actions that take me towards that direction. Where and how to start, any ideas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts